Stuck Lathe Carrage Cross Feed.

If the turret post is stuck try with padding lite hits with dead blow hammer I'll bet it's rusted and the slide and carrage are the same. Some of the carriages on the lathes had a way lock on the back ways beside the front one. Try loosening the top carrage bolts then spray your lube cleaning mixture in all the casting splits or openings to get the lube in there not like you can pick it up and soak it in a pan. Just keep trying till it breaks free I'll bet it's just froze from gunk. Don't be afraid to loosen up the top half it won't fall apart but it will let stuff move about to get the lube in.

The Square Turret post (is that what you were talking about?) is my next project. Never used one, and I understand this one stoped working 3 months ago. How are they suppose to work? Once I know how they work I can most likely fix it.

Please post a picture of what part you are referring to, just so we are all on the same page.

It's on top of the cross feed table. Best I can do right now._DSC0708.jpg _DSC0708.jpg

_DSC0704.jpg

Ahhhh, OK. Not much to it. Just a spring loaded indexer in the bottom. Don't lose the spring and ball bearing when you pull it apart.

Ahhhh, OK. Not much to it. Just a spring loaded indexer in the bottom. Don't lose the spring and ball bearing when you pull it apart.

Very Funney... except for the Ball & spring, everything fell apart in my hands without even trying to pull it apart. It's the ONLY thing that has come apart easily on this machine.

That's what I understand. Glad you got it loose!

UPDATE:
1. Removed gib. (Yea).
2. The nut did not want to come off the hand wheel. Took 2 strong guys. Took med taps with the hammer to remove it.
3. Crossfeed bed would not budge until several massive blows & 10 minutes with a big ballpein hammer... and then barely moved. Took another 5 minutes to get it off.

See photos for what I found. No wonder it froze up.

Anyone else had one this bad?

What kind of Oil/lub do you recommend?

Screw-0831.jpg Screw-0833.jpg Screw-0834.jpg Screw-0835.jpg

Jim, those were the days! My manual impact driver dates back to the early 70s. Saved my butt more than once on expensive motorcycle screws.
Yupp I've had mine for forty years. Dern life savers I had a cheap one but then I bought the Leslie one it's so much smoother to use and it works great . Wish I could use it on a frozen shaft I'm stuck with. I had this tube the shafts in glowing cherry red and still haven't got it out or freed up enough to turn it , was able to smack it a 1/4" turn . Oh well to much time in it now.I'm happy you got the slide freed up now polish that bugger and super lube it to start. I wanted to put a pump lube on my lathe I still will try . You might be able to hook some thing up on that beast lots of room to put oil pots .

Last edited:
See photos for what I found. No wonder it froze up.

Anyone else had one this bad?

What kind of Oil/lub do you recommend?

That stuff looks like glue! Vactra #2 would be the proper oil, but I use AW46 hydraulic oil, or 80-W90 gear oil.

Holy smokes Marv that was a job! Congratulations on getting it apart.
Can imagine how good looking and smooth it will be when you are done!

Thanks to everyone for all your help.
Thanks Jim for the oil recommendations.

Back