Student wobblers

churchjw

Active User
Registered
I taught a metals class this semester to some design students at the university I work for. Most of these kids have never worked in metal or done any machining. We did about half a dozen projects to get them some simple skills and their capstone project as a little wobble engine run off of shop air. They started with bar stock, a simple sample engine and a description of how the engine worked (no drawings to go from). I wanted them to do the problem solving not just copy a project. Here are their results. http://youtu.be/WNvMoyHPAWI Overall I was very pleased with the outcome of the class and they were a great group to work with.

Jeff

That's great. I'll bet the kids willl look back on that class and know that they learned a lot.

Jeff, you are the "King of Wobblers". Very satisfying to see the smile on their faces. When are you going to start the 4 cylinder wobbler? Would like to see a bigger one.
Jerry

I have started the cylinders for the V4 and some of the parts but I just got access to a Haas CNC mill so my shop time for a bit will be just playing with that. Hope to do the V4 and post pictures over the Christmas break.

Jeff

Jeff, I will be looking forward to your work on the V4. As with any finished project comes the question, "What are you going to do with it". How about a 3 foot high ferris wheel. Spin that puppy! All the kids in the neighborhood will be coming over to watch. Charge them 5 cents. After a few hundred, you can buy some metal.:))

Jerry

Back