Stumbled upon a Craftsman 101.21200 Lathe

Thanks for the reply. I have no need for having the motor to run in reverse, but was curious to see if they were intended to go in both directions. I do intend to put the on/off switch on the front of the bench. I will try to locate the correct wires to test the motor and then eliminate the others and then rewrap the harness.

As I have stated earlier I know nothing about wiring and am not kidding as I will now prove. Here is what I want for info. Looking at a normal 3 prong plug, Big blade on the left, Small blade on the right, and Half Round blade on the bottom. Which color wire from my harness should go to which blade? All I want is to attach the plug to the harness and plug it into the wall socket and watch it run, hopefully clockwise looking at the end of the pully.

Attachments

• DSC00845.JPG
    DSC00845.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00844.JPG
    DSC00844.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00847.JPG
    DSC00847.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00848.JPG
    DSC00848.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 31
bama7,

Unfortunately, no one can tell you that. The three wires going to the AC supply plug should be green for ground, white for Neutral, and Black for Hot. Your photos show three bundles pf wire coming out, with 2 wires, 2 wires and 4 wires. Unless you can find the original wiring diagram and it actually matches the wire colors, you had better take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have them wire the line cord.

Also, one of the photos showing the printing on the side shows "PROTECTOR TYPE BK". As I do not see a red reset push button, that causes me to believe that the motor has an automatic reset thermal overload breaker buried inside somewhere. That is not a safe thing to have on a lathe because you have no way of knowing how long it willl take for the breaker to reset itself. About the only thing that you can count on is that if it trips because of a crash or similar event and you do not first pull the plug out of the outlet, you will probably have your hands buried in the machine when it cools off enough to reset and try to restart the motor. And lose a hand or worse.

bama7,

Unfortunately, no one can tell you that. The three wires going to the AC supply plug should be green for ground, white for Neutral, and Black for Hot. Your photos show three bundles pf wire coming out, with 2 wires, 2 wires and 4 wires. Unless you can find the original wiring diagram and it actually matches the wire colors, you had better take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have them wire the line cord.

Also, one of the photos showing the printing on the side shows "PROTECTOR TYPE BK". As I do not see a red reset push button, that causes me to believe that the motor has an automatic reset thermal overload breaker buried inside somewhere. That is not a safe thing to have on a lathe because you have no way of knowing how long it willl take for the breaker to reset itself. About the only thing that you can count on is that if it trips because of a crash or similar event and you do not first pull the plug out of the outlet, you will probably have your hands buried in the machine when it cools off enough to reset and try to restart the motor. And lose a hand or worse.
That doesn't sound good about the hand thing. I will try to find a local electrician to help out on this one. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like that motor was borrowed from some other machine-
Normally black wires are "hot" and connect to the narrow prong on a plug. White wires are "neutral" and connect to wide prong. The roundy center prong is ground (green wire) and would connect to a case screw on the motor.
I see two cords in your picture- unfortunately we don't know which is for the plug and which is for a switch. Plus three other wires unaccounted for, not a lot to go on- perhaps you might should consider another motor?
Mark

Looks like that motor was borrowed from some other machine-
Normally black wires are "hot" and connect to the narrow prong on a plug. White wires are "neutral" and connect to wide prong. The roundy center prong is ground (green wire) and would connect to a case screw on the motor.
I see two cords in your picture- unfortunately we don't know which is for the plug and which is for a switch. Plus three other wires unaccounted for, not a lot to go on- perhaps you might should consider another motor?
Mark
It looks a lot like a washing machine motor or maybe an industrial fan type motor. It was attached to the lathe when I got it. I have three motors at home. Two are 3450 rpm and one is 1740 rpm. Problem is the 1740 rpm motor turns counter clockwise looking at the pully end. Of all things it only has three wires coming out of the motor. Black, white, and green are the colors. Would it change the direction of the motor if I swapped the leads around or just burn the motor up? I don't think it will change direction, but I have to ask.

If you simply swap the white and the black, it won't be safe for someone later who isn't smart enough not to trust an unknown person's wiring but it will run fine and in the same direction as before.

Following assumes that the 1740 RPM motor is capacitor start. What you need to do, assuming that there is one, is to open up the junction box on the motor and see whether there are more wires visible and if you are lucky a note either on the JB cover or on the circuit board that says something like "TO REVERSE SWAP RED AND YELLOW WIRES". Do that and ir will run clockwise. If you only find places to attach the three cord wires, you will need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing inside of capacitor start motors and have him/her do it. All single phase capacitor start motors are reversible. Some just make it easier to do that others.

Most certainly do NOT use the motor that came with it for metalworking. The open frame motors like that will get metal chips in them and fry in very short order. I don't even like them for woodworking machines but they will at least survive a bit longer with wood dust in them. You are probably right on an old washing machine or fan motor. They are common in such applications because they are cheap.

Most certainly do NOT use the motor that came with it for metalworking. The open frame motors like that will get metal chips in them and fry in very short order. I don't even like them for woodworking machines but they will at least survive a bit longer with wood dust in them. You are probably right on an old washing machine or fan motor. They are common in such applications because they are cheap.
In one of the pictures you can see what appears to be duct tape covering some openings. I made contact with a guy today who has a couple of motors like I need. Hopefully we can get together soon and make a deal.

Back