Re-Opened Suggestion: Images

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The site software may not allow this, but if it does
it would be nice if higher paying members got larger VIEW resolution rather than larger upload resolution,
and lower paying members had limited viewing resolution.

After all, anyone can view their own copy of their images at whatever resolution their camera produced. Iit isn't a motivation for them to upgrade membership to benefit everyone else, unless they are a commercial member. Effectively I feel like I'm getting punished for paying for Diamond membership and struggling to view posts from silver members.

If you can give me a little time to dig into any options we have here, that would be great.

As I've tried to explain in previous support ticket issues, we are trying to get to a sweet spot for all donating members.

It is entirely possible that any random member is taking photos at a lower resolution and simply uploading images that cannot be viewed easily. If you have an example that you could share that would help as well.

Thanks for the suggestion and your patience as we continue to refine all of these options. The site has been around for a long time at this point and there remains a bunch of small legacy issues with permissions like this that we continue to work on.

Bryan

Upvote 0
Bryan
I appreciate that there needs to be appropriate economics behind the membership levels and costs of running a website.
Seems to be pretty consistent, most photos are now smaller. I would *guess* that correlates to a large percentage of unpaid and silver members. As an example, most of cathead's posts use to contain fairly high resolution pictures, they are now smaller.

I'm sure image size by viewer is a more complicated technical issue, as image resizing at upload is a one time thing, whereas image size by view either requires storing two image resolutions, OR resizing the image at view time.

Upvote 0
Definitely miss the ability to zoom in on pictures. Thought it was a great part of HM. Willing to upgrade membership to get it back. Helps beginners like me to see the necessary detail to further my machining understanding.

Upvote 0
Seems like it takes much longer to open photos than it used to, but maybe it's because the newer phones make such large files
-Mark

Upvote 0
My image that I uploaded as 4032 x 3024 pixels [1.7MB] (hey that's my phone camera, that's what they are these days) got collapsed to 480 x 360 pixels [30.9KB]. No wonder it looks mushy and without detail. (56.3:1 jpeg file size ratio!) According to my membership level, wouldn't it be compressed to the order of 1200 x 1200?

Upvote 0
Can I test an image here? If not here, where is a good test area?

Upvote 0
Thought so. Was thinking of testing the image compression.

Upvote 0
Back