Suggestions for staying warm in da Shop?

I use a 70K BTU torpedo heater in my 2 car shop. I only burn K1 (white kerosene) virtually no smell, little fumes, and I have never experienced all the rust that others speak of. No rust on my mics or any other machinist measuring tools, no rust on my lathe bed rails, none on my little mill, or really anything else. The torpedo roars like a freight train but I could care less as along it warms things up. A forced air furnace would be nice I will agree but it would cost a lot more and require more space than I am willing to give up for it. If I was a retired guy spending every day of the winter in my shop the torpedo would not be a cost friendly option and I would need to find something different. But since I only have a little time now and then and usually only on the weekends the torpedo suits me fine. After running mine for a couple of hours I can work in a t shirt out there.

K1 (white kerosene) is what makes the big difference. Any other fuel other than K1 or propane is just nasty.

I sure wish that we had that much snow on the ground. We have had one of the driest winters I can remember. One walk shoveling
of about 4-6" doesn't amount to much, especially when you are depending on snow melt for your water supply.

Grumpy in Colorado

I am using my torpedo heater at the moment, running on road legal Diesel (DERV), because it is actually cheaper than Kerosene in the UK! We are paying $10.15 for 4 litres of Kerosene (1 us gallon =3.785 litre) Yes folks, in the UK Kerosene is more expensive than Petrol (gas)!

Back