Suggestions on less than full size mill

Don J

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process of upgrading from my ShopTask 3-in-1 BridgeMill. I've recently acquired a 60's era South Bend 10L. It's a joy to use compared to the BridgeMill! Now I need the mill. Space is tight. I could fit a full size mill but it would not be pretty. I've never needed the capacity of a 42" table like is found on most full size knee mils.

I'm in the Florida Panhandle so there isn't much around here. I had to go down to Ocala (4 hours one-way) for my lathe. I read in another thread that a Burke MV would be a good option. Found one of those near Tampa but it looks very rough (especially considering they're asking $1,200).

Any other suggestions on a vertical mill that has decent rigidity that's not so large?

Attachments

• 277598262_5368596306508221_3617063045134927511_n.png
    277598262_5368596306508221_3617063045134927511_n.png
    794 KB · Views: 170
Depends on new or used. If new, probably the PM-833TV in a benchtop style, or PM-935TS (3/4 size) knee mill from Precision Mathews, go with a 3 phase pulley version and add a basic VFD (Like the Teco L510), will save a bit vs. Reeves drive version. It also has the ability to be delivered by lift gate, where anything larger cannot. Unfortunately the price of new machines has skyrocketed. Otherwise, the used market I would expect you could find something in the 3K range with a 42" table, but you need to widened your search range and be able to pick it up. This usually requires access to a drop down trailer, and ability to move it.

Thats a horrible price for that Millrite! I got mine in 'worn but not rusty' condition for $1100.

That said, if you get a decent one with an R8 taper, they are GREAT machines.

The PM stuff always looks really nice, so I would suggest that if you're looking new. If you can afford the space and money, I'd suggest a knee mill over a benchtop. The extra rigidity you get out of it is absolutely worth both.

As @mksj says, ~3k should definitely get you into the 30"-42" wide tables (the millrite I had was a 36" table) on the used markets. Sometimes it takes a drive, and sometimes it takes patience and being willing to 'pounce' on a good deal. I ended up going 5hrs each way for my mill (for a mediocre deal), but POUNCED on my lathe, surface grinder, and shaper to get it before anyone else.

FYI: Ebay can be a decent place for machines!

I searched ~4-5 hrs from you and found:

Series 1 Bridgeport with a 9x42" table. Not awful looking from the pics, and perhaps ~1k overpriced.

Never heard of MaxMill, but a standard 42" Bridgeport clone for ~$3k right around 5 hs from you.

Quite a bit further (8 hrs!), needs some TLC (light surface rust?), but only $1500 OBO!

FWIW, one of the advantages of a Bridgeport-clone: Parts are available EVERYWHERE and are still being made.

There are several different makers of 8x33 knee mills. Mine is made by Husky. Below is one sold by Grizzley. Someone will come along and tell us the original US company that made mill all of these are copies of.

g0731-70374f77ab9a2ef01480cc75a1e70433.jpg

Going from a BridgeMill to a 8x30 knee mill will probably be an even more pronounced upgrade than going from the BridgeMill to the Southbend 10L lathe.

Last edited:
There are several different makers of 8x33 knee mills. Mine is made by Husky. Below is one sold by Grizzley. Someone will come along and tell us the original US company that made mill all of these are copies of.

g0731-70374f77ab9a2ef01480cc75a1e70433.jpg

Going from a BridgeMill to a 8x30 knee mill will probably be an even more pronounced upgrade than going from the BridgeMill to the Southbend 10L lathe.

I think these are copies of a Taiwanese designed mill inspired by the Johansen / Clausing 8520 mill. Not a direct copy, but certainly enough features in common to show where they got their ideas from. The 8520 has a 6x24" table, the original Taiwan machines a 6x26" table, and the 8x30s are a slightly enlarged evolution.

A lot of the early Taiwan machines were independent designs that borrowed from popular machines, rather than being direct copies.

Clausing 8520

8520.jpg

You may not need the table size, but a full size bridgeport you won't regret ... my clausing is great for my needs in the basement, but I would love a full size mill... it would be so many steps up rigidity wise.

I would like a full size mill as well. But there's a finite amount of space available.

Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to remove the head of Bridgeport? Is it very heavy? If I can't find a decent alternative, that may end up being my only choice and I need to figure out how to transport it.

They are trivial to remove, they are held on by 4 bolts. I'd say my variable speed head is probably 2-300 lbs or so, maybe a touch more.

The ram itself comes out and is pretty light as well, and the table comes off pretty easy, plus the knee comes off the body with minimal effort. The parts are all heavy enough you'll want a hoist of some sort, but light enough that it can be broken into small enough parts to transport.

I would like a full size mill as well. But there's a finite amount of space available.

Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to remove the head of Bridgeport? Is it very heavy? If I can't find a decent alternative, that may end up being my only choice and I need to figure out how to transport it.

The older M head Bridgeports are a bit smaller and often a lot cheaper than the J head mills. They lack some of the features of the later mills, but seem like they would make a nice mid sized mill.

You may not need the table size, but a full size bridgeport you won't regret ... my clausing is great for my needs in the basement, but I would love a full size mill... it would be so many steps up rigidity wise.
Agree, I am quite pleased with my Clausing, but it is also the biggest mill I could manage. There are a lot of options bigger than a Clausing, smaller than a Bridgeport, and if height / weight isn't the issue the short 36" table Bridgeports could even make the list. Clausing / Rockwell are probably the worst mills on a cost / size ratio. There is often a premium paid for being the smallest common USA made knee mills.

Last edited:
Back