Super 55 saddle removal

afreeland

Registered
Registered
Alright, feels like a silly question but thought maybe there was a trick to removing the saddle and don't want to break anything.

Removed the table, power feed motor, power feed unit, gib, wipers, x-axis acme nut, saddle lock... There really isn't anything left, it moves smoothly and loosely but wont slide off of the front like manual says.

Looking underneath the acme nut that was holding the y-axis acme thread prevents it from coming forward... Am I supposed to go up through the bottom of the knee and remove that?

The middle plate under the saddle can be moved but it feels like it is a single piece that kind of holds the acme nut captive..idk any help appreciated.

On some mills the saddle can be removed without removing the nut; if the gib is removed, try tilting the saddle upwards on the gibbed side.

On some mills the saddle can be removed without removing the nut; if the gib is removed, try tilting the saddle upwards on the gibbed side.

So I have tried that and doesn't seem like enough to get it over the dovetail. Took a video of how it freely moves but won't come forward or lift.

I did get it off but went up through the knee. It's a long stretch with one arm to hold it without it falling. Had to hold onto the piece through the knee while tapping the pins though the top with my other hand. Me and the machine got intimate for a minute but eventually it gave up the goods lol

Was cleaning up the parts and looking at the acme nuts that goes on the top and the one from the bottom. It looks like they are made of solid brass and not an insert like the Bridgeports ones I've seen online.

There are a few signs of wear on both and was kind of thinking about just Dremeling off the small bad place. Then perhaps filing a little to clean it up. Any thoughts if there is a better approach?

Here is the bottom piece
PXL_20211010_233946445.jpg
PXL_20211010_233957258.jpgPXL_20211010_233959901.jpg

The top piece is pretty sharp on where the thread is like blown out.

PXL_20211011_001017143.jpg
PXL_20211011_001033164.MP.jpg

I started to read and looked to find you some help. Now I see you have it apart.....it may help anyway. Page 9 show saddle removal.
Thanks, appreciate the help! I did read through the manual but couldn't quite find the the part about going up through the knee. Honestly, I find it kind of tricky to locate the part numbers in the diagram. I need to print it out so I can reference both parts at once.

The beauty of your Wells Index is they are similar to a Bridgeport but better in every respect.
Heavier, stronger, better made, well thought out.
Beautiful machines.
Heck, why not replace the worn parts while your there?
That's another great thing about the company, still in business!!
I wonder what that nut costs??

Back