Super American Engine Under Development

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
Have to call it Super American because Ferrari grabbed name Super America.

Just so we start out right I have never spent time standing in front of a lathe.

This engine will be a boon to all enthusiasts that need an engine.

Before we go too far it is nothing far out like a Sterling engine or rotary engine.

It's just a recombining of existing ideas.

What is the best way to protect this idea first so I can just talk about it.

Be like the early dragster guy that went around telling people how he made his car go fast.

Don Prudhomme or Don Garlitz? I think it was Don Garlitz. Same guy who came up with rear engine dragster.

Anyhow I've been doing this awhile and I think it's a good idea.

It's at the planning stage in that making sure everything is included so

it's not a half finished design.

Thanks!

Sounds like you need to file a "Provisional Patent" application. Relatively cheap, gives you 'patent pending' status for one year and the benefit of the provisional filing date for priority.

Unless there is something truly unique about it (you say it is a recombining of existing ideas) it may not have the 'novelty' element or 'non-obvious' required for a patent - but I've seen many patents iissued that were (IMO) obvious.

Start at <https://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/patent-process-overview#step1>

Also refer to Nolo Press (www.nolo.com) for the book "Patent it Yourself" or check out a copy from your local library. You can do a lot of patent work yourself and I would start with an online patent search at the uspto.gov site. Good Luck!

Stu

Realize that a patent isn't worth the paper it is written on, until it is tested in court and survived a round of litigation. Not saying, "Don't get one," just noting that they don't have super human powers.....

Back