Supercharger Display Project

...This evening I cut the pine base, chamfered the edges, and drilled the holes which mount the SC. I'm trying to decide on stain. I have Ipswich Pine and Red Mahogany ...

Barry, Can you find a nice piece of hardwood off cut of a suitable size and just go down very fine on the sanding, then burnish with wax and steel wool.
You will get a highly polished natural finish. Low tones in the grain, wont detract from the showpiece.
Just a thought

Cheers Phil

I'm quite curious to see a finished project now! That's a really neat idea!

Thanks!

I'm almost finished. I've conditioned, stained, and applied 1 coat of clear. Another is going on tonight, then possibly the final tomorrow. I'll definitely have finished pictures up this weekend.

12bolts
I thought about looking into a nice piece of hardwood, but the stores that sell decent wood around here are open until 5PM which is pretty much when I get home from work. I picked up a different stain for the pine, Golden Pecan, and I'm really happy with the results so far.

I applied the final coat of semi-gloss clear coat very early this morning and it's dry to the touch, so I assembled everything and took a picture.

This is before any coatings on the wood. I was mocking things up and drilling the holes.
DSCN7673.jpg

And this is the finished product. After uploading the picture I notice it's a bit dark so I'll take a few others a bit later (I have the "Buick" emblem clamped at the moment while the glue dries).
DSCN7676.jpg

Thanks for looking, guys! It was a pleasure sharing this project with everyone.

Barry

DSCN7673.jpg

DSCN7676.jpg

I'm afew days late but all I can say is AWESOME---kroll

... Jeeps and 4x4ing, you've got me thinking what I could do in a similar fashion....

You going to do a cut-away on a jeep?!! "jawdrop:

-->Barry, thanks for the posts and showing how it all turned out. Nice finish.

Cheers Phil

I'm pretty sure I know what your brothers reaction was already but how impressed/pleased was he? I have a twin brother who is right into Jeeps and 4x4ing, you've got me thinking what I could do in a similar fashion.

Shawn

You could do a cutaway transfer case for him (the transfer case performs the dual function of sending the drive from the transmission to both front and rear axles, and of allowing the selection of a low gear range).

Here's one of the same type and make used in most Jeeps (New Process), but a slightly different model as it's from a HMMWV:

AMG20.JPG

M

AMG20.JPG

Hey guys,

Thanks again! He was very pleased with it, and shocked. He told me he had seen something similar at a car dealership in the past and wanted to buy it from them, but it never happened. I'm not sure where he's going to put this in his house but I'll let him figure it out!

Here are a couple more pictures just before I wrapped it up:

DSCN7694.jpg

DSCN7697.jpg

DSCN7700.jpg

DSCN7701.jpg

And here's one of the engine he rebuilt, before and after:

DSCN7591.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

Barry

DSCN7694.jpg

DSCN7697.jpg

DSCN7700.jpg

DSCN7701.jpg

DSCN7591.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

Hey guys,

Thanks again! He was very pleased with it, and shocked. He told me he had seen something similar at a car dealership in the past and wanted to buy it from them, but it never happened. I'm not sure where he's going to put this in his house but I'll let him figure it out!

Barry

Nice job, I like looking at cutaways.

Just curious though, does the Buick use the same supercharger as the Mazda one you used for the project?

M

Back