Supermax lg-1440 question

richied

Registered
Registered
Hi all I’m loooking for any info on supermax lathes. Specifically any interchangeable parts with a company I can get parts from. my ways are shot and I can’t find anyone local that resurface them for A cost that wouldn't be much more than the lathe is worth. Which I compleatly understand. So iwas thinking if I could find any interchangeable lathes I could be on the lookout for to swap out the bed or purchase a replacement. It may be a way to get it back up and running. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..
thanks
rich

It looks like the supermax is just like the other imports (ie. Enco, Grizzly, etc). I would be on the look out for one of those. Maybe even contact Grizzly and see if the have a damaged one with a good bed that they would part out.

Here are a couple of forum sponsors you may want to reach out to.

Can help you evaluate what you have.

Might be able to point you in the right direction for parts or sell you a new machine.

John

I wonder that a lathe as (relitively) new as you describe could be worn out at this point, if it can be in such a condition in this term, would it be worth investing in a rebuild if it is going to be worn out (again) in a similar term of time?

Welcome to the site neighbor . :encourage: I'm just a little north of you in Herkimer County . Sometimes it's easier to part these lathes out rather than pay the price to have the ways ground . The cost is prohibited when you know what the resale value of the lathe is vs. your time plus $$$$ you stick into it .

Agree with above and also wondering if the lathe in question has a hardened bed? Sounds like it may not or it was
given some extraordinarily hard use- did you buy it used with a lot of wear?
-Mark

If you could show us pictures of the machine, it would help us figure out a answer. Take a pic showing the machine, the bed ways, The more the better. What is your experience, what do you plan on using the lathe for? Have you leveled aligned the bed? Many times a rookie who is only going to use it for backyard work can align the bed, use a file to make a tapered shaft straight.

Grinding the bed will cost from $1500.00 to $2500. Plus then you would have to apply some Turcite the the saddle. Keith Rucker has several You Tube shows on how to do this. If a new machine costs $15,000.00 then rebuilding it would be worth it. Most machinists can do this.

Supermax changed its name to YCM. A few years ago, I started this list of large grinding shops

This one in on the 2nd page. These guys are in NY.
It looks like the supermax is just like the other imports (ie. Enco, Grizzly, etc). I would be on the look out for one of those. Maybe even contact Grizzly and see if the have a damaged one with a good bed that they would part out

If you could show us pictures of the machine, it would help us figure out a answer. Take a pic showing the machine, the bed ways, The more the better. What is your experience, what do you plan on using the lathe for? Have you leveled aligned the bed? Many times a rookie who is only going to use it for backyard work can align the bed, use a file to make a tapered shaft straight.

Grinding the bed will cost from $1500.00 to $2500. Plus then you would have to apply some Turcite the the . Keith Rucker has several You Tube shows on how to do this. If a new machine costs $15,000.00 then rebuilding it would be worth it. Most machinists can do this.
I actually got I touch with gallery of machines and they are great folks! But they said their services would cost more than the lathe is worth. I went out and met them and they sold me a nardini which needed work but the ways are in great shape ! but it is a completely different animal than the supermax. And parts definetly won’t swap

I actually got I touch with gallery of machines and they are great folks! But they said their services would cost more than the lathe is worth. I went out and met them and they sold me a nardini which needed work but the ways are in great shape ! but it is a completely different animal than the supermax. And parts definetly won’t swap
I’ll send some pics when I have enough posts to do so. The story behind the supermax is I was impatient and was relying on someone I didn’t really know well to tell me the condition. I got it at an auction ( never buy from an auction with out looking at it! As you all know). I’ve been trying to get my shed set up as a bit of a shop and I wanted to have all of the big tooling in hand (so to speak) then get the wiring addressed. So I jumped the gun and payed way to much for something junk! I figured I was in trouble when the bidding was not going any ware. I was also bummed when I went to pick it up and the 3 jaw chuck that was supposed to go with it was no ware to be found! Live and learn.
so anyway when I was looking for ideas on what my options could be I found gallery of machines and contacted them. They were great guys, I told them my story and they said they may have something kicking around that would work for me and they did. They aren’t really in the business of selling used machines anymore but when the brothers bought the company from their father a few years back they had a bunch of machines the Dad had bought and refurbished and a few he didn’t. So we worked out a deal on a 1440 Nardini they had which they didn’t refurbish but they went through it and made sure it all worked and we’re very up front about what the machine would need to be complete. This got me in another pickles since you can’t get parts for Nardini in the us but I’ve been plugging away trying to make the parts I need to get that up and running. So

Back