Support Your Local Blacksmith

When looking at scrap for use in forging, the first question you should ask is what you are going to make. Decorative or mild structural work can be made form almost any scrap, from Rebar and rail spikes to drops from structural plate and beams at your local welding shop. Ditto practice. Rebar is a great way to get the feel of hammering out shapes before starting to use 'good' steel. If you are making blades, chisels, hammers, etc. you need to limit your scrap to things like vehicle springs (coil or leaf), old brand name (much modern cheap file material is case hardened mild steel) files, rusty ball bearings (if they are rust resistant, they are stainless steel and you won't get much forging done!), high strength (grade 8) bolts, high strength cables (cranes, elevators, etc), and the like. Honestly scrap work is nice for practice or for experienced folks, but beginners are better suited by buying some 1080 (or similar 10xx series) steel for blades. O-1 is great but more costly. It gives a known starting point and a known heat treat. Figuring out mystery steel requires practice and experience.

Coal/charcoal/etc. forges are also more for advanced smiths looking to remain 'traditional'. Nothing wrong with it, but not for a beginner without a mentor...to many variables. Stick to gas forges...fewer variables and the end product will be as good or better in all cases. Run with a rich flame and keep it hot.

There are many people working and playing at blacksmithing, me being one of them. If you are interested find a blacksmith guild or club in your area. You will learn more from the guys n girls in a day than you would in a year trying to do it by your self. I belong to the Shanendoah Valley Blacksmith Guild and look forward to every meeting. ABNA is a large umbrella org. that many clubs are under. Check it out! Ed

i saved a camshaft from a 4 cyl chev malibu, is it a suitable piece for forging ? or is it cast steel and just junk?
As I recall, camshafts are drop forged rather than cast. I could be mistaken though.

A problem with pieces like camshafts are all the sharp edges. Forging is basically moving metal. The sharp edges on the camshaft will fold over on hammering and cause a cold shut which is two pieces of metal overlapping but not bonded, hence potentially poor strength. If you are making an art piece, it would not be a problem but not good for tools. For example, a file is a good starting point for a knife but the teeth have to be removed by grinding prior to forging. They may forge flat but you have a whole mess of discontinuities which stay with the piece as you draw it thinner and thinner to shape the blade.

Here is an example to illustrate the point. This is a snake made form a horseshoer's rasp. in forging, the teeth were driven back into the cut pockets but they never bonded again in spite of extensive forging. when the form was bent to make the curves, some of the teeth rose up again, as can be seen in the close up.

It is possible to weld those cold shuts by forge welding but for something like that, it would be iffy. A good forge weld requires bare metal for the mating surfaces. Flux can help but it is unlikely that you would be able to squeeze it all out of the crevasse. (The snake was made in the late seventies. I made a half dozen and gave away all but two)
Rasp Asp 1.JPG Rasp Asp 2.JPG

There are many people working and playing at blacksmithing, me being one of them. If you are interested find a blacksmith guild or club in your area. You will learn more from the guys n girls in a day than you would in a year trying to do it by your self. I belong to the Shanendoah Valley Blacksmith Guild and look forward to every meeting. ABNA is a large umbrella org. that many clubs are under. Check it out! Ed

Thanks Ed. Yes I have been looking for a local group. If you meant ABANA yes I checked their site and they have nothing close. Kind of odd as I am close to Chicago.

Thanks Ed. Yes I have been looking for a local group. If you meant ABANA yes I checked their site and they have nothing close. Kind of odd as I am close to Chicago.
The guild I am a member of is not connected to any other except by way of friends and events. Try some of the blacksmith sites, I fore iron has a list of guilds etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, I have joined IFI forum and received some help. But still have not found a local. Time will turn up some one. Finished a gas burner today but I need a few plumbing parts to hook it up to the tank. Still waiting on ridgizer and bricks for the forge. Some mix up I think at the supplier. See what I did in the shop today, for pics.

Yes I have Played a little and get the basics, like making holes and what not. but I thought coal or Coke where required, and getting coal or coke in the small amounts I would need in my area seems to be hard. I have a small blower, a piece of RR rail. I have a few RR spikes I was going to try to make a Knife from one.
The rim thing just fill the rim with your fuel?
Thanks
Mark

Think of the word charcoal and there you have the original fuel for the forge or smelting furnaces that the ancient Chinese, Egyptians and Assyrians etc used.
A 25 kg sack of lump wood charcoal should last you a fair while . Whilst you finish with your forge you could put a few small logs on the fire under an old cast iron sauce pan , cover it with ash to reduce the oxygen entry and end up making you own lump wood charcoal ..
PS.
It's brill for BBQ's as well for that was the original fuel for them too .

You can also make your own propane gas fired forges as well . The second picture down appear to be a propane gas fired forge/oven . There is a thread about making smelters in the POTD forum at the 6 April 2015 date . You can use them as the forge heat source , the word to forge means to shape by force , heating the material just makes it easier.

Our old village blacksmith ( well over 70 yrs of age ) that I used to visit as much as I could in the 1950's was called Mister Wellborne Smith , by the end off the 50's aged 10 I used to be able to name every item he had in his shop and say what it was used for.
He always used to correct me if I referred to the fire as the forge saying " No David the fire is what makes forging easy " .

Last edited:
Yes David,
I am learning these things and have started building two furnaces. One for solid fuel, and one for propane. I am just limited on what I can do right now and the time I have got in the shop of late. you saw my burner in POTD. the body for that furnace will be a 20lbs propane tank laid on side stuffed with cera wool and fire bricks used for doors. (sure you have seen many of this type) still waiting on Ridgizer, and brick all the rest of the liner I have. Hopefully I will get a propane tank filled today and can do a test with and with out the shim.
But this post Pushed me to finally go forward and build something for heating.
Mark

Our old village blacksmith ( well over 70 yrs of age ) that I used to visit as much as I could in the 1950's was called Mister Wellborne Smith , by the end off the 50's aged 10 I used to be able to name every item he had in his shop and say what it was used for.
He always used to correct me if I referred to the fire as the forge saying " No David the fire is what makes forging easy " .
Interesting, David. Here the noun "forge" means either the source of heat or the establishment or building itself and the verb means the act of forming metal by hammer. The word was used to describe the heat source in the Sears & Roebuck "Tools Machinery Blacksmiths Supplies" catalog published in 1915 and in the famous poem "The Village Blacksmith" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, published in 1842.

Ahhh! , that's perhaps why there is a difference.
I'm a country boy born & bred , strong in the arm & thick in the head.
I'm from Yorkshire England so was Mr Wellborne Smith his native language would have been Victorian Yorkshire & earlier , the village we lived in was at Tattershall Lincolnshire where he settled after WW1 .

What would we country bumpkins know of such high brow educated scribes as HWL who didn't know their way around the terms of the ancient crafts .
I doubt Mr Wellborne Smith would have ever left the Yorkshire village save for shoeing horses in the first world war somewhere with is regiment & coming to Tattershall to set up business with a Tattershall pal he met shoeing military horses somewhere in France .

This is from the search term in Google Medieval blacksmith ( T'would sum up the way us Yorkies talked at the turn of the 18 & 19th century .
I still use precise olde English terms that my mum & dad used & people look at me as if I came from another planet.

Description of a Blacksmith Forge
A Blacksmith forge is a workplace where metal is worked by a blacksmith by heating and hammering via a furnace consisting of a special hearth where metal is heated before shaping The name of a forge was also referred to as a a smithy. A Forge wagon was a wagon fitted up for transporting a blackmith's forge and tools. A Portable forge was a light and compact blacksmith's forge, with bellows, etc., that may be moved from place to place.

Last edited:
Back