suppressor adapter

C

cg285

Forum Guest
Register Today
not that i couldn't easily make one but curious why i see no commercially available adapters for a ruger single six - or any revolver. is there a reason for that?

You cant effectively suppress a revolver most of the gases escape at the cylinder gap .

While I would say that on a properly set up revolver most of the gasses go out the business end, there will still be enough leakage at the cylinder gap to probably make more noise than you want. :)

Semi autos make a bit of a racket too, with the moving mechanicals. The quietest setup is a suppressor on a bolt action.

i still might make an adapter for one of my 22 revolvers, coupled with 20 grain loads and see what happens. not that the neighbors don't shoot but they usually only shoot a dozen or so "cannon" loads then quit - not like shooting a brick of 22's

The only wheel gun that I can think of that is worth suppressing is the 1895 Nagant . It creates a seal at the cylinder gap when fired

The added back pressure from the suppressor will send more hot gasses back through the cylinder gap than usual so it's going to be dirty as well as ineffective.

The added back pressure from the suppressor will send more hot gasses back through the cylinder gap than usual so it's going to be dirty as well as ineffective.
i'll report back after another 6 months or so

I'd not thought of this. Makes sense though. Sorta. :)

Last edited:

I bet you a dollar that there would be no significant increase in noise from the cylinder gap as a result, given the decreasing pressure in the barrel as the projectile travels to the muzzle :D

Back