Suppressor Baffle Machining

gun410

Registered
Registered
Hello

I have recently found this forum and I’ve been posting a bit on the beginners forum. I’m fairly new to machining and this is my first forum 1 silencer. I’m working on turning the baffles and I have run into a problem. I plan on making these baffles in the following order.
1-Drill the Bore
2-Profile inside of cone
3-Profile outside of cone
4-Part off cone

The soon to be baffle has been clamped in the 3 jaw since step 1 to ensure concentricity. The first blast has been drilled and bored to correct ID. I was originally planning on using a boring bar to profile the inside 60° cone but that would be hard to reach that deep into the baffle when it has a longer skirt. So I got a 1” 60° countersink, I’ve started cutting a little bit with the countersink but I have no way to tell my correct depth and it should be precise otherwise i won’t get the desired .06” thick cone. If there are any forum 1 builders that could lend some suggestions would be appreciated.
8f6a25182eb7a7ab82515b94279f9b05.jpg
ef1e78acf802b216e00bb7843ab96cbf.jpg

How about a dial indicator set up on your tailstock?

You can mount a DRO (or an old caliper) to your tailstock to get the correct depth. Alternatively, use your compound slide to move a boring bar in and out of the hole at 60* to make that cut. Much more controlled and flexible.

I’ve been wanting a tailstock dro but I’m still without a mill so I wouldn’t be able to make the brackets to mount it.

Alternatively how would you be able to get the correct depth with an boring bar? Also it would be tricky to get a boring bar inside the baffle with enough range of motion for the cone.

Maybe there is a more simple way to do this operation?

I have put some thought into this on my own time and decided that the type of cone baffle you are making is best saved for those with CNC capability. You could grind some custom boring bars for the inner profile and use carriage stops on your lathe to repeat your depths. If you are persistent, I'm sure you'll come up with something, but this approach is certainly not an easy one. It is precisely this operation that makes me a fan of the monocore.

I'm still pretty new to machining, so excuse me. A form 1 is definitely something I would like to do once I'm a little better equipped. But, would a HSS form tool help in this situation?

I'm not sure how i would make a stop collar for the countersink maybe i could 3d print one? I'm adding a dro on to the tail stock, rather a chopped down caliper that attaches to the ram with a 3d printed part (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:404844). I'm hoping this will be a repeatable solution when my m3 hardware comes in.
261b1416fcc41571ea772910b20aacaf.jpg

That tailstock DRO was exactly what I was thinking of and should work perfectly! Nice work.

Back