Surface Finish

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey All,

Should i be able to achieve a smooth to the touch finish with a 1942 South Bend 9? I'm using HSS tools. I started out turning a rusty piece of 2-inch A-36. All the rust is gone, and getting close to my final desired diameter 1.500. But no matter what I change (spindle speed, feed speed, depth of cut, tool end, oil), I cannot achieve that smooth finish. I still feel slight discrepancies when I run my finger across it. I've attached a photo, but I do not believe you can see much in it. My best finish comes from a high spindle speed (690), shallow cut (.002), round tool tip (~1/8"), with oil.

Is it my technique, the lathe, the material, or the phase of the moon? Let me know if there are any questions i can answer that may help in formulating an answer.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Stock.jpg
    Stock.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 83
Try a vertical shear bit.

From the photos I have found, unless I am mistaken, and I may very well be, does the bit cut, or shear from the bottom as opposed to the normal top cutting bit?

It shears from the side, works great for low power machines and hard to finish metals.
As much as I dislike his videos, MrPete has a few on making and using one.

not enough info:
pics of the tool
was this using a feed, or done by hand?
What was the feed?

First, I notice that when I cut light cuts the finish look eh.. but when I do the right size cut I get a nice finish.... too much and eh...

I don't use a shear tool. I find it dulls pretty quickly in steel. For AL, it's nice .

It shears from the side, works great for low power machines and hard to finish metals.
As much as I dislike his videos, MrPete has a few on making and using one.
why do you dislike his videos? Just curious.

I had very little expectation, but it works. Does not make chips, as much it makes little steel feathers. The finish is a lot smoother, but not like glass. Maybe one more pass and we'll call it good.

Thanks for the new trick.

I actually did watch one of Mr>Pete's videos on the tool. I like him. He may ramble, but at least you can hear him and understand what he is saying.

Attachments

• Tool.jpg
    Tool.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 67
Having been partially raised by my grandfather I’m kinda partial to knowledgeable rambly old guys. I don’t always agree with their politics, but I appreciate their knowledge. Mr Pete is a treasure to me.

Back