Surface Grinder Question

I don't have anything like that now.
I have a wheel flange that goes onto the spindle, then the wheel is kept on with a left handed lock nut/flange. Mines a small grinder so it must be different than the normal sized ones.
That sounds correct. Usually there is also a washer with two notches in it underneath the flange nut to help keep the flange nut from loosening. That is on my standard sized 6x18 grinder. I do not consider the washers optional. Mine are like the 200 series on this page:
http://www.wmsopko.com/sopko_04_to_30_51_53.htm
Anyone with a surface or tool grinder should know about this site, look around there: http://www.wmsopko.com/

I looked at the site before.
I use 1/2" id wheels.
I'll have to take another look.

Yes it does.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sanford/
Good photo of the spindle. notice the four grub screw holes.

img65.jpg

Last edited:
OK. I am sorta' familiar with Sanford grinders. Highly regarded by people who need a small grinder. Prices usually reflect that.

The wheel mounting setup is almost identical to most 6" bench grinders.

I put an indicator under the spindle today. There is no movement on the indicator over the vise left to right. Back to front there is ~.0006" over the chuck. Things get interesting going past the chuck. all the way to the left the table rises .0011" and .002 to the right. Front to back the table also rises in both directions. At first I thought maybe my gear rack was a little to tall or something but I think what is happening is there is no wear at those extreme ends and the table rises.
Maybe you're not supposed to go over the vise when grinding?
Although Solid Rock Machine Shop says this is not an indication of a flat chuck. Go to 16:24 on this video.

An indicator under the spindle will only show you how your grinder will grind beneath the spindle. Ordinarily, we see more table way wear at the ends of the table travel. This does not necessarily show on the indicator. If there is drop off that is constant toward the ends, the indicator below the spindle will show that the table and chuck are perfectly flat left to right, but that is not necessarily so. Put a known good precision straightedge across the freshly ground chuck and see what you get. If the freshly ground chuck and/or freshly ground table match the straightedge, then the ways are probably also properly flat, depending on the grind job quality. If the surfaces are convex, then there is more wear (or lower areas) at the ends of the ways. If the surfaces are concave, then there is more wear (or lower area) in the center of the ways. It works much the same in the cross feed direction as well. Perfect barrel or trough shaped ways under the spindle will show no indicator movement. In reality, the best way to check the ways is to check the ways themselves, see Connelly. The table usually comes off quite easily.

When using a magnetic chuck, it is good practice to move the work to different locations of the chuck so the wear on the chuck surface and on the machine ways gets distributed more evenly. That would be the same when using a vise bolted to the table. Another issue is not to tighten down mag chucks or vises too tight to the table, which can warp the table temporarily or permanently. The side load on chuck and/or vise are not that big, and the chuck or vise just needs to be tightened down just snug.

Last edited:
Back