Surface plate finally in place...

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
...with minor complications.
Took (10) days but it's finally in it's place. Had to do quite a bit of re-arranging. And had to wait on my back to catch up with my plans.
Really need to move out one or two work benches - as always, not enough shop area.

IMG_20200726_193609352__CR.jpg....

There were only 3/4" bolts in the stand for leveling. I had some leveling pads laying around and luckily they were the same size.
Need to get them cleaned up. I removed the rubber from the bottom of each since they were already coming off.
0726202217__CR.jpg....

Anyone know why 'blue painter's tape' leaves a mark you can't get off with copious amounts of naptha?
IMG_20200726_193554407__R.jpg

The Wife helped me re-org Saturday night, moving everything around to make room.
And then later that night she stubbed & busted up her toe.
So Sunday I was on my own.
There's only 44" between the tablesaw and one of the wood working benches. Had to remove a vise from the bench and a back rail off the tablesaw to even get the 44". The plate and stand are 38".
I use a 70" post hole/tamper bar as a pseudo Johnson Bar. Slow and steady, 6-12" at a time.
I was having to go around in and out of the entry door to be able to straighten it out, it kept wanting to move left or right, didn't want to do straight for some odd reason. :grin:
Then Mother Nature decided to take over for Murphy. Unbeknownst to me some hornets had build a nest in the trim around the outside of the entry door.
And here I was going in and out the door and slamming it each time trying to keep some of the AC in.
Must have rile them up, I went out the door & ran into a couple of them, not realizing there was a nest, headed back to the front of the garage, grabbed the bar and was in the process of scooting the SP when one of d*mn things stung me on my chest on the left pec.
Had a back brace on and couldn't get the bloody thing off quick enough to get my t-shirt off.
I tend to have an allergic reaction to bee & wasp stings, not anaphylactic shock thank goodness, but it still messes me up. Grabbed some Benedryl, a steroid, and an ice pack and had to rest.
Meanwhile the SP was almost into the garage, the AC was running, I had figured maybe 30-45 minutes to get it into the garage and close the overhead.
That plan didn't quite go as intended. Went back out around 90 mins later, found where the nest was, sprayed the heck out of it, and finished moving in the SP.
Let me tell you, a sting on your pec muscle and you feel it with every action of your arm.
(Dang that turned into a long story. . . Thanks for reading this far.)
The HF dollies held up well, heck the plate & stand have been resting on them for about a week.
Now to get back to getting this puppy setup.

Ugh, what an ordeal!
Glad that you and your wife survived semi-unscathed :oops:

Reading the above - I'm glad I sold the granite surface plate, that I bought along with my Bridgeport, while the surface plate was still on the pallet that it was delivered on, before I attempted to move it into my workshop!

Have it all set and leveled. Probably a moot point since the shop was open.
The leveling feet are much better than the 3/4" bolts that were in it.
Still need to fab a cover for it and I'm going to add some planks across the bottom for storage.

"Brother, can you spare a level..." :grin:
0801201646__R.jpg

But seriously folks, , ,
0801201818a__R.jpg

The Wyler is way sensitive, just exhale on it and it changes.
Close enough for hobby use. Will check again in a couple of weeks and see if it's settled much.
0801201817c__R.jpg....0801201817d__R.jpg

IMG_20200802_213629438__R.jpg

Going to have to keep the side door closed in late afternoon.
0801201856__R.jpg

Back