Surface Plate Restoration or Machine Base?

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Found this little gem on Craigslist over the weekend....

239b8481ebe6f78bae896b3581ce51ce.jpg

0effd7c89184fd98b094308684f73521.jpg

bf907e0e0dfd9b0e3ccfe698d5fe0644.jpg

a25b0daf150d98528e39d9b3fa0970ce.jpg

Had to part with $20 in order to bring it home!

The PO covered the top surface with a zinc coating for “long term corrosion protection”.

Question: the zinc coating is used to protect boat surfaces or docks. Can this coating/paint be removed easily? If so, any recommendations how?

Follow up: if it can’t be restored I will likely use it as a small machine base for my gear hobber project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be just electroplated, it could likely be removed by re scraping or by using hydrochloric acid. I wonder if it is some sort of paint?

Assuming this is something like ZRC or other zinc rich spray paints, I'd be trying chemical stripper. It won't hurt the CI.

18” x 24” is the size.

It is some sort of zinc coating or paint. The previous owner said as much but couldn’t tell me how he applied it. I’m guessing by brush or spray can. He said people use the zinc product on boat bottoms??

Nice score!

At the local college thay had like 4 CI plates like that. We used them for general lapping with sandpaper. They had a big granite surface plate for inspection purposes. I'm assuming they just kept them around & repurposed them for that eventually.

A couple of them also had handles on them, just like the holes on yours. Was told that the purpose was to be able to take the plate to the part to be checked if it couldn't be brought to the plate. Advantage of the CI over granite is the lighter weight.

If I had that I would use it for the same thing, general lapping. I bought a 9x12 granite surface plate for 20 something dollars at MSC (before tarrifs) & use it for that same purpose.

A muriatic acid bath, rinse, repeat as necessary. The top will need to be refurbished, but that is one seriously nice piece of iron!!

I have a lapping block already with a grid milled in the surface for charging with compound. It’s pretty sweet. I’ll take pics sometime. It is smaller but heavier than this surface plate.

I saw this on Craigslist and he had it on for $40. I literally have been really good about not spending money on things I don’t need.

Then he dropped the price to $20...:laughing:and the stupid took over and started driving my brain.

Last edited:
If were both there we'd have to fight for it!! nice score!

Back