Surprise Super Find

Sorry songbird,the lathes that I have work on have always been allen head bolts.But what about one of those impacts that you use a hammer on with a screwdriver tip which comes with the impact?Sorry for my misunderstanding---kroll
Opps I see you already did the impact

Sorry songbird,the lathes that I have work on have always been allen head bolts.But what about one of those impacts that you use a hammer on with a screwdriver tip which comes with the impact?Sorry for my misunderstanding---kroll
Opps I see you already did the impact
No problem, my Clausing uses Allen head cap screws, if I get these out that is what I will be replacing them with. Thanks, Jim.

Oil will not help but impact will.

Do not mickey mouse it.

If yiu already have used the hammer type impact you have the bit so now use pneumatic but...

Do not go full throttle as it may not be needed.

Turn Ari down to 40 to 50 psi and lean heavy on it to insure bit is firmly in the screw and let the driver work on it.

It will just sing for a bit then start to move.

Give it time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
YaHoo!!!, an impact with the right bit worked so fast and so well, it's hard to believe. It had absolutely no effort for the impact at all. This is a 1954 lathe, you can't believe the amount of trash in it. I really wasn't planning on tearing the whole apron apart, but with the amount of crud in it, I really have no choice. Thanks for the tip! Jim.

Our 194x 14.5 was same way...

So figured you could use the same process that finally worked for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

YaHoo!!!, an impact with the right bit worked so fast and so well, it's hard to believe. It had absolutely no effort for the impact at all. This is a 1954 lathe, you can't believe the amount of trash in it. I really wasn't planning on tearing the whole apron apart, but with the amount of crud in it, I really have no choice. Thanks for the tip! Jim.
Ok, got the lathe up and running, restoring/repairing one section at a time. The apron was completely filled with sludge and gunk. Clutch was sticking and sometimes not holding. After a complete cleaning and "lapping" of the clutch discs, it works like new.
The next issue is the cross slide. There is so much wear, the adjustable gib is maxed out. I ground off about 50 thou off the end, where it was "bottoming" out against the casting, and it seemed to help. I do not have access to a surface grinder and therefore cannot make an oversized gib. Has anyone ever added a shim to the side of the gib to compensate for the wear? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Jim.

Hi Songbird,

Both my larger lathes have shims in the cross slide gibs. Both shims are on the outside of the gib, and seem to work well. They both are cut from what looks like stainless shim stock and have a notch cut into the operator end to accommodate the adjusting nut that you use to tighten or loosen the gib. So with the notch cut in the shim, it moves to and fro with the gib. I don't see any reason why brass shim stock wouldn't work also - might be more easier to come by.

The big thing is how thick to make the shim.... mine are maybe between .010" to .020" thickness... Never measured. I could actually measure the one off my SB Fourteen if you need. It's disassembled at the moment, awaiting a new leadscrew.

Cheers
Glenn

Hi Songbird,

Both my larger lathes have shims in the cross slide gibs. Both shims are on the outside of the gib, and seem to work well. They both are cut from what looks like stainless shim stock and have a notch cut into the operator end to accommodate the adjusting nut that you use to tighten or loosen the gib. So with the notch cut in the shim, it moves to and fro with the gib. I don't see any reason why brass shim stock wouldn't work also - might be more easier to come by.

The big thing is how thick to make the shim.... mine are maybe between .010" to .020" thickness... Never measured. I could actually measure the one off my SB Fourteen if you need. It's disassembled at the moment, awaiting a new leadscrew.

Cheers
Glenn
Thanks Glen, I don't think you have to measure yours, I just didn't know if that was a practical or common way of addressing the problem. I will look for brass shim stock. Thanks again, Jim.

I bought a package of brass shim stock for 30 bucks or so, maybe less, off eBay. MSC and McMaster Carr also sell a similar package. Must be 20 sheets of brass, all sizes from around .002 up to .020" thickness. Amazing how cheap it is for a life time supply!

Good luck,

Glenn

I bought a package of brass shim stock for 30 bucks or so, maybe less, off eBay. MSC and McMaster Carr also sell a similar package. Must be 20 sheets of brass, all sizes from around .002 up to .020" thickness. Amazing how cheap it is for a life time supply!

Good luck,

Glenn
Thanks for the info Glen!

Back