Suzuki jr50

1Bender

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought my boys a Suzuki jr50 and have pretty much restored this little bike…got it running fairly decent but the clutch is engaged like it’s stuck…the service manual has little to no information as to the clutch…kinda hoping someone here has dealt with one before as I’d really like to see the kids tear up the yard on this thing before they outgrow it…I’ve currently got the side cover off and the disks out soaking in oil hoping it got stuck from sitting while other projects took precedence…I’ve included shots of the service manual along with one of the only articles I could find online (center screw didn’t help prior to pulling the side cover) and a pic of the little bike…any help on it would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 10D062D0-4ADA-4E6F-9208-37486909B355.jpeg
    10D062D0-4ADA-4E6F-9208-37486909B355.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 158FEE5C-0806-4366-B3E5-DAB548965907.jpeg
    158FEE5C-0806-4366-B3E5-DAB548965907.jpeg
    553.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 411BD02C-B567-4965-81DF-F1B2FFB97F01.jpeg
    411BD02C-B567-4965-81DF-F1B2FFB97F01.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 10
  • E1FC3A05-8834-44EA-BA8C-B6A7287EB0B0.jpeg
    E1FC3A05-8834-44EA-BA8C-B6A7287EB0B0.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 14
  • F8FBDD2D-864C-4E95-8919-7EFF86BD84BD.jpeg
    F8FBDD2D-864C-4E95-8919-7EFF86BD84BD.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 13
It's not that unusual for clutch disc to stick like that. I've had to rough up the fiber disc on Harleys to get them to grip and release right. Didn't see anything about that in those manual pages you posted, so...? What oil you soaking them in?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Suzuki expert!

It's not that unusual for clutch disc to stick like that. I've had to rough up the fiber disc on Harleys to get them to grip and release right. Didn't see anything about that in those manual pages you posted, so...? What oil you soaking them in?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Suzuki expert!
Did not know that trick on Harley’s…had a 79 shove sporty years ago (first and only Harley…) I’ve had Suzuki TL 1000’s for decades and if they sit the clutches will stick which is how I came to that being the issue…I let the clutch disks soak for a hour in motor oil (same thing you do with TL’s and put it back together which resolved the issue I’m glad to say! I have a few things to get done on the house today and figure to let them get some seat time this evening on it…next up is two pw80’s to tear down and build one good bike out of for them…got a jr80 sitting here too but their not ready for a clutch yet so don’t really know what will come of that one just yet…

In case you didn't know about this. These bikes can very easily be modded to have two speeds. They are actually in 2nd gear from the factory but a quick mod will give you 1st and 2nd.
Just Google JR50 second gear mod.

In case you didn't know about this. These bikes can very easily be modded to have two speeds. They are actually in 2nd gear from the factory but a quick mod will give you 1st and 2nd.
Just Google JR50 second gear mod.
Actually I did the 2nd gear mod as well as the oil pump delete on it…I modded the little bike so much that I had to put a 62.5 main jet and a 22.5 secondary jet to get it to run but it had sat for some time since I built the motor on it which allowed the oil to drain from between the clutch disks…I pulled it apart and separated the clutch disks soaked them in oil for a hour or so and put it back together…boys have been terrorizing the yard ever since with it…currently working on a pw80 for them which I have the motor scattered across my workbench at the moment…

Love it. Life long rider dying for the day my son learns to shift! He’s 10 and I already have a kx80 that I used as a pit bike. He’s been riding one of those razor electric dirt bikes and loves it. I just got him a Polaris phoenix 200 which is automatic with forward and reverse. I can’t keep him off it. Can’t be mad either I was exactly the same.
Live to ride ride to live!

Love it. Life long rider dying for the day my son learns to shift! He’s 10 and I already have a kx80 that I used as a pit bike. He’s been riding one of those razor electric dirt bikes and loves it. I just got him a Polaris phoenix 200 which is automatic with forward and reverse. I can’t keep him off it. Can’t be mad either I was exactly the same.
Live to ride ride to live!
Yea I got a razor mx650 here that the kids ride as well out crf50 plastics on it cause one of my boys wanted it to be black…currently in my shop is the razor, the jr50, a jr80 and two pw80’s…their not ready for the jr80 yet as it has a clutch so I don’t know what I’ll do with it just yet…was one of those things I acquired in a deal along with one of the pw80’s…the other pw80 was a complete bike that someone put straight gas into…I currently have the motor out of that one doing a full rebuild on it with a new crank, rod and top end…should have it back together sometime next week if I don’t go overboard and restore it…(I like the toys to look as nice as they run…)

Back