SWAG Offroad Air Tool Chamfer Table

With the Black Friday discount it was something like $75-$80 delivered. Not worth my time to make one for that price.
Sorry, I now tend to view things through my retirement glasses.

Sorry, I now tend to view things through my retirement glasses.
I get that, I'm retired as well. I still tend to pick my battles, so to speak. In this case, I would have had to go by a piece of plate, and spend several hours that I could spend on something more interesting( and/or valuable, hard to find, etc...). Or spend $75 on a high quality piece, made in the USA of domestic steel, delivered to my door. No brainer for me.

Any reason a regular router table would not work? is it a specific kind of router bit that would work with steel? ive done similar things with aluminum with standard woodworking tools and am switching over all the wood cutters i can to insert. I am guessing many of those bits can take a metal cutting specific insert if i know what to look for.

FWIW for small wooden parts i stick a cordless router in a vise, bit up, and chamfer/roundover away. its easier and faster than the big router table or trying to hold small parts and breaking the edges. makes a much more consistent edge than hand sanding/breaking. it isn't something i see others do for some reason.
Yes you could use a regular router table and even router bits, only problem is a router is too high rpm for steel, you'll have to slow it down.

Yes you could use a regular router table and even router bits, only problem is a router is too high rpm for steel, you'll have to slow it down.
Set to the slowest speed, I think many routers could work. The cutter is about equivalent to a 3/8", 3 flute endmill, and you're removing a really small amount of metal. I think three or four thousand rpm would be a good operating speed.

Set to the slowest speed, I think many routers could work. The cutter is about equivalent to a 3/8", 3 flute endmill, and you're removing a really small amount of metal. I think three or four thousand rpm would be a good operating speed.
I would think twice about hand feeding metal parts into a cutter running at machine tool mindset speeds. Real good way to have it launched across the shop. These things rely on high RPM, low chip load conditions. The pneumatic cutters that go in these type of tables are ripping at a no load speed of 20K-30K RPM. I'd also think that the swarf would not be very kind to the surface of a router table. My woodworking router table is covered in Formica(and many I've seen are aluminum ). I wouldn't want the tiny, sharp swarf these cutter produce anywhere near it or any of my other woodworking tools.

Any reason a regular router table would not work? is it a specific kind of router bit that would work with steel? ive done similar things with aluminum with standard woodworking tools and am switching over all the wood cutters i can to insert.
I'd want to look at the wood router bit next to the metal cutting bit. Wood cutting router bits can take a pretty aggressive cut - far more than a metal cutting bit in an air tool. In addition to the possibility of a wood cutting bit grabbing a small piece of metal and launching it across the room, I'd worry about your hand being jerked toward the bit with possibly injury as an outcome. I know one guy who lost the tips of 3 fingers to a jointer when this happened to him.

I get that, I'm retired as well. I still tend to pick my battles, so to speak. In this case, I would have had to go by a piece of plate, and spend several hours that I could spend on something more interesting( and/or valuable, hard to find, etc...). Or spend $75 on a high quality piece, made in the USA of domestic steel, delivered to my door. No brainer for me.
At that price, I would had done the same…. missed It!

The problem with a router mounted in a table, it will fill up with metal slivers. Wood shavings get in there in spite of the fan, heavy swarf will fall in for sure.

Back