Switching Question

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have two detailing sanders that are both hooked up to a small shop vac to keep grit under control. Is there a switching setup I can do that would turn on the shop vac when I turned on one or the other sander?

Jay

I know this is not exactly what you want but would a foot switch work for you, it works well for me around the lathe to turn the vacuum on without reaching for the switch.

Seems to me that there are systems similar to the Rockler that will turn on the vacuum from several different machine inputs.

Brain Flash!: If you plug a splitter into the Tool output, you could plug several machines into it. Turning on any of the machines would trigger the current sensor.

Last edited:
Those auto switches are very common amongst woodwookers for the same use, for a dust collector or vacuum. Any woodworking shop has them, also seen them at Sears, Grizzly, & of course Amazon.

a cheap way of doing the same thing would to put both the sanders and the vac on a surge strip and use the surge strip to turn the vac on and off
use the switch on the sanders to operate

Thanks everyone. Just what I was looking for.

This is such a great forum!

Jay

Back