T-Handle Hex Wrench

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been wanting a t-handle hex wrench to use with my 8" Gator adjustable chuck so while I had the compound rest installed on the lathe I decided to make one today.

Made from scrap 21mm CRS for the body, Some 3/8" precision ground rod I had left over from a job and a surplus 10mm hex key I had in a bin.

The lower part of the body was turned to 18.5mm to fit in my t-handle rack that sits on the lathe head stock. I cut an 1-1/2" off the hex key and ground a small chamfer on the cut end that will get pressed into the body. To set the key I drilled the body .04" under size of the major diameter x 1.2" deep and then counter-bored .006" undersized x .2" deep to help the hex key start straight.

For good measure I partially filled the bore with Devcon 10110 epoxy and then pressed the hex into the body with my little 10 ton press. The heavy press fit was about the limit of the little shop press.

20180217_132610.png20180217_132700.png

Very nice job Jay, but watch out, the chuck key police will be by soon to warn you not to leave the chuck key in the chuck. ;)

David.

Jay, I am surprised at you. I see that you left one hole in that chuck unfilled. We really cannot allow such slipups around here.... :grin big:

That gets my vote for Project of the Month for sure!

-frank

As Walter Mathau said in "Grumpy Old Men": Ho-ly Mo-ly!!!

Sure gotta love a great sense of humor!!

Back