T-nuts And Other Sundry Drill Press Hold-down Devices?

BarnyardEngineering

Registered
Registered
You can buy drill presses at big box stores, harbor freight, sears, and even some walmarts.

Why don't they stock anything to secure the work to the table?

The only place to get such accessories is at a specialty tool store, either local or online. The typical "Joe Everyman" won't be aware of this. The ones who realize the need will be limited by the fact that the local tool store is only open 8:30AM to 4:30PM Monday-Friday, and by the inevitable shipping delay of an online order, not to mention the high probability of ordering the wrong part(s).

Seems like an untapped market to me, and a liability issue.

I suspect that most people would just run a bolt through the table slot with a washer and nut on the bottom side. I can't imagine that there is an issue with liability. You are fortunate to have a local machine tool supplier. Our local supplier went out of business three decades ago. Here are two possible solutions at HF.
image_17515.jpgimage_1466.jpg

That vise-grip hold-down is handy as heck!
A decent vise as well. I am using a junk 4" angle-lock milling vise.

What I see is that the "big box" stores cater to the 90% of the folks that just want a cheap, simple, (did I mention cheap?) basic wood-working tool.

I personally have not seen a good, heavy metal working drill press at any big box stores....I mean one with real t-slots and a table lip to contain cutting fluid.
All they seem to have is wood-working drill presses with flat tables and open slots.

But you are certainly correct about the frustration of finding good tools.

My local used tool store is also the King re-seller. I have to watch for months for good used tools, but bought a new King drill press from them.
I buy whatever I can there....I want them to stay for a long, long time.

-brino

You can buy drill presses at big box stores, harbor freight, sears, and even some walmarts.

Why don't they stock anything to secure the work to the table?

The only place to get such accessories is at a specialty tool store, either local or online. The typical "Joe Everyman" won't be aware of this. The ones who realize the need will be limited by the fact that the local tool store is only open 8:30AM to 4:30PM Monday-Friday, and by the inevitable shipping delay of an online order, not to mention the high probability of ordering the wrong part(s).

Seems like an untapped market to me, and a liability issue.

Most have bolt slots for drill fixtures. The tables tend to move around then they are raised and lowered.

I did use a large radial arm drill press that had "T"slots and power lift of the drill head. The shop used it to re-install new die sections, we used transfer punches to locate new dowel holes then shop made centers with straight shanks to set the spindle location. A nice machine to use.

I only saw the vise grip style hold downs in Harbor Freights around here once, and I have NEVER seen the mill set in a store, ever.

While I do have the vise grip thing, it only works so-so. Kinda undersized, and I've had the drill press rip parts out from underneath it on more than one occasion.

Keep in mind we're talking about hogging the occasional hole here. When I need precision, I will buy a mill. In fact I am looking for a mill right now.

Have you come up with an effective, convenient way to secure the drill press vise to the drill press table?

I've tried bolts, but the bolts are either too big or too small. When the bolt's too small, the head only "grabs" along one edge of the slot, necessitating a washer. The problem is finding a washer that's a good fit on the bolt (bin washers are very loose), and not too large to fit between the cast-in webs on the underside of the drill press table.

Back