Table Saw Safety Project

With no children at all, I just have to keep track of my own fingers. Still all 10 of 'em, I'm glad to say. Having been in industrial maintenance, I spent more time on someone else's machines than on my own. Both wood and metal working machines... ... Because of that perspective, I had to develop ways to protect myself, many (most) of the machines really didn't have OSHA guards. Much of my career was before OSHA even existed, anyway.

The point here is that I watch the cutting edge, closely. If a finger (hand, foot, whatever) comes into my field of vision, it's too close. I need to back off and rethink what I'm doing. Push sticks are a must. A screwdriver will ruin a saw blade or router bit, but if that's all that's available... ...

At 70-ish, give or take, I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes, so I guess I did something right. I have busted my knuckles several times, but still got all my fingers. Kneeling off to the side is the only thing that kept me from flying off a roof on a piece of plywood many times. How does one pass along something of that nature? Watch 'em when they take up a tool and raise Hell if they don't watch what they're doing is the only way I know. And don't do such shenanigans alone, ever!

I don't think there is anything wrong with safety warnings like making the danger zones etc. Just something to help remind you to THINK. Like other people have said the most important safety device is ourselves. I try to go through a mental checklist each time I am in a potentially dangerous situation.
1. Where is the danger zone
2. What direction are the forces in (am I pushing toward a blade are pulling away from it )
3. What the common failure modes and what am I doing to protect from these (kickback or if I slip when pushing, a lifting strap breaks ...).

I don't always do this although I try. it is also easy skip the checklist on tools that I use a lot, like the vertical band saw but I do manage to think through it often and especially when I have something that is awkward or unusual.

I don't think there is anything wrong with safety warnings like making the danger zones etc. Just something to help remind you to THINK.

I disagree, I think safety signs and warnings are awful, they make people forget how to think for themselves..... Most people do stupid things just because there a sign telling them not to.... Before all the warnings people would have to think for themselves before doing something stupid....

Safety Third!

Don't know if any of you have ever seen the Saw-Stop system, but we had one of these in the carpenter shop at the company I worked for. I got to see it demonstrated a couple of times. It's pretty impressive to see. I know this is probably beyond the means of a lot of hobbiests, but if I remember correctly, the saw itself wasn't much more expensive than any other good quality commercial table saw. Anyway, just thought it may be interesting to some.

Ted

Don't know if any of you have ever seen the Saw-Stop system, but we had one of these in the carpenter shop at the company I worked for. I got to see it demonstrated a couple of times. It's pretty impressive to see. I know this is probably beyond the means of a lot of hobbiests, but if I remember correctly, the saw itself wasn't much more expensive than any other good quality commercial table saw. Anyway, just thought it may be interesting to some.

Ted

This is cool but how do you cut aluminum with the stop saw.....?

The only reason I have a table saw is for cutting aluminum.....

I learned long ago never to question what a parent does to keep their child safe.

Again, I commend you sir for teaching your kid how to run a table saw and anything else in your shop. That's the real message here, pass along your knowledge while you can.

Cheers,

John

This is cool but how do you cut aluminum with the stop saw.....?
The only reason I have a table saw is for cutting aluminum.....
There's an override switch on the control panel, meant only for occasional use (wet wood comes to mind). If all you cut is aluminum, then the SawStop is not what you'd want to spend your money on.

Back