Tachometer

Surprman

Active User
Registered
You proabably have a tachometer and might not even know it! I found a cool free app for my iPhone called Stobelight by Motionics (I’m not associated with the app). The app allows you to set a strobe frequency on your flash. You simply tweak the Hz/RPM until the progression of a mark on your shaft stops and you have your shaft RPM. It works pretty good. With it I realized my motor pulley on my lathe was too big, resulting in speeds that were higher than spec (SB 9C). I got a new pulley and the spindle speeds at all my belt combinations are good now.

Attachments

• 4B6AAC61-7BF3-4E3A-BF8B-A67A3B2CA280.png
    4B6AAC61-7BF3-4E3A-BF8B-A67A3B2CA280.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 19
That is cool! I got a similar app for my Android called Strobily. It also works well.
Robert

That's pretty cool. Dammit, I just purchased a second optical tachometer a week ago too.

but I enjoyed using my 200 year old pencil eraser-ed Starret revolution counter!

I was about to buy an optical tach as well. This just saved me $40.
When I first tried the app it would only read in hertz. I did do a conversion, but that wasn't very much fun. I discovered that you have to change a setting from hertz to rpm's, now it works very well.
Thanks!

Also the android app has a coarse and fine RPM adjustment that took me a minute to figure out. You move the slider up and down and then rotate the pointer.
R

but I enjoyed using my 200 year old pencil eraser-ed Starret revolution counter!

I have one too. Except the eraser part has been well, erased. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back