Taft Pierce #1 Cross Feed Screw

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
Good news all! I bought a beautiful Taft-Peirce #1 surface grinder! It has beautiful ball bearing V-ways and smooth and tight screws! And I got it for a song, too!

Bad news! :rolleyes: Somebody :rolleyes: tipped it over while moving it into the garage! (I'll kill the bastard if I ever catch him!) Unfortunately the lead screw (the manual calls it the 'cross feed screw') is sheared right off at the nut :eek:. Does anyone know what type/size the screw is and it it's possible to get a replacement anywhere?

I machined a new screw for my T-P #1... mine was badly worn...

I seem to remember using 3/4- 10 all thread to make it out of.

-Bear

@682bear Thank you, the screw isn't precision ground or anything?

Also any chance you know where to find the rollers that the large table runs on, a few seem to have fallen out when it tipped over.

@682bear Thank you, the screw isn't precision ground or anything?

Also any chance you know where to find the rollers that the large table runs on, a few seem to have fallen out when it tipped over.

No, I just used the higher- quality all-thread that McMaster carries... it works fine.

The table runs on ball bearings, the carriage rolls on cylinder shaped rollers... I reused the rollers, but ordered new ball bearings from an online supplier (probably McMaster-Carr). I measured the old bearings to get the size.

-Bear

I think the old screw is still floating around somewhere... let me see if I can find it and I'll give you more specific details... it's been a few years since I made the screw...

-Bear

I couldn't find the old screw... but I did manage to get under the carriage on the grinder enough to measure the replacement... it is 3/4-10tpi... right hand thread, and is a standard v thread instead of an acme.

I just looked at McMaster... you can order a 2 foot length of their grade 8 all-thread for about $35... part number 3314N75...

My T-P #1 has a backlash eliminator on the lead screw nut, so any backlash can be adjusted out... it works pretty well.

I hope this helps...

-Bear

Thank you bear, I'm going to try making one from some 12L14 stock I have. Any chance you know where to find the rollers that are used under the main trunnion? I lost a dozen or so, I've been having trouble sourcing them...
ad9a7c46e9dbf66531468bf6fe1069c4.jpg
88b8df62d6586eb984738b7427aa590f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thank you bear, I'm going to try making one from some 12L14 stock I have. Any chance you know where to find the rollers that are used under the main trunnion? I lost a dozen or so, I've been having trouble sourcing them...
ad9a7c46e9dbf66531468bf6fe1069c4.jpg
88b8df62d6586eb984738b7427aa590f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

No, sorry... I reused all of them.

-Bear

Back