Tail Stock DRO

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I love the Eisen 1440 lathe that I bought last year, but there's one feature on it that has been frustrating. The linear scale on the tail stock is very nearly impossible to read - especially while under power. I have toyed with the idea of trying to mount some sort of DRO but never really made much progress with it. That is, until I ran across the design that Randy Richards posted on youtube (
). I decided to try to make something similar. I made a few modifications that I'll describe in the pictures below.

I recently bought about a two foot section of 3"x3" 6061T6 aluminum. I cut off a section, scribed it and began milling off the excess. Many thanks to Mikey who recommended a Tormach Superfly and Sherline flycutter. I bought both several months ago but never realized what monsters they are at hogging off metal! I put the Tormach through its paces on this project, and it actually performed better at high RPM's and depths of cut than I had been using. I'm impressed:
IMG_1332.jpgIMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1336.jpg

Next step was to mill the profile to fit onto the tail stock. It would have been easy enough to mill a 90* angle, but using an angle gauge, I discovered that Eisen's tail stock has an angle of 96*. After scribing with a granite plate and height gauge, I began milling. Not too difficult, but I needed to get a little creative to mill it precisely:
IMG_1339.jpgIMG_1340.jpgIMG_1343.jpg

Once I had that critical feature milled, it was easier to visualize where, and how much, excess metal needed to be removed. I used parallels to orient the part in my vise and milled away. This part went rather quickly:
IMG_1346.jpgIMG_1348.jpgIMG_1350.jpg

Here's the finished product with the digital scale attached (the ring that I fabricated to hold the stop is on the quill). The angle of the readout is set for optimal visibility. I didn't take any pictures, but the vertical face of the stop has four magnets pressed into it, and the horizontal face has three:
IMG_1353.jpgIMG_1356.jpg

The final step was finishing the magnetic stop. Here's where I deviated from Randy's design a little. Instead of welding the wing onto the ring, I milled a slot, pressed it in, and pressed some bronze dowels into it. (Randy's definitely a better welder than me.) Also, I chose to not mill a recess for the magnet. It's easy to place it where I want it, and cleaning up the magnet will be much easier if it's not pressed in. And finally, instead of slitting the ring and incorporating a socket head screw, I drilled and tapped two holes and used set screws.
IMG_1357.jpgIMG_1360.jpgIMG_1361.jpg

Turned out pretty nice. I have a short (30 second) video demonstrating the features but don't have a clue how to post it.

Regards,
Terry

Oops. That's the wrong video for Randy's version. Here's the correct one (I hope):

Very nicely done, Terry!
Thanks, Mike. I tried to attach the 30 second video showing its features, but it was too large. Any tips on how to load it?

Regards

Nice job Terry. Send it out for hard anodize. This is "grey" hard anodize 6061. I'm curious if you've needed any support from Eisen, and if so how it went. Thanks for posting.

Nice job Terry. Send it out for hard anodize. This is "grey" hard anodize 6061. I'm curious if you've needed any support from Eisen, and if so how it went. Thanks for posting.
Oh, very nice, David! Great suggestion on anodizing - I'll look into it.

I had very few issues with the Eisen. Other than timing nuisances because of the holiday season, delivery was rather uneventful. I did have a couple of questions during uncrating and set-up that were very easily resolved by telephone. Jason was a very helpful and quick to respond. Several weeks later, I contacted him again with a question on lubricants. He responded very quickly by e-mail listing what was used from the factory and US counterparts (which were not listed in the Owner's Manual).

I'd buy again from them in a heartbeat. A great product and very helpful staff.

Thanks for responding.

Regards,
Terry

Finally figured out how to create a youtube account. Here's the video:

Hope this works.

Regards

Good job, nicely done Terry :encourage:

Back