Tail Stock Turret Base Plate

dlane

Active User
Registered
thinking of making base tor turret that will fit my 10L lathe. It will have to slide on bed ways a little, it will be pretty thin at prismatic way location aprox 1/8" . Any suggestions , material , how to cut v , measurement to spindle .the turret base plate it came with has already been butchered by PO but the internals work good
Think it's worth it ?
Thanks

Thinking I will put a 5/8" dowel in a turret station, chuck that in a 5/8" collet with support & leveled on lathe and take measurements for new base plate. Any better ideas out there ?
Should I use cast iron, would aluminum work if not slid on bed to much, the cast iron that came with it is ugly. I presume someone made this one , here are a couple pics.
image.jpg image.jpeg The v way cut may be another prob. The two large screws are not original, the turret casting has been machined down to the max at base from someone else . U think it's worth fixing or keep looking for a better one that fits my lathe, it didn't cost much
Thanks for any ideas , comments , advice , kick in the pants for buying it

I think your best bet would be making the bottom plate adjustable and tramming it in later on the lathe.

How to make it adjustable? Not sure, maybe replace the countersunk machine screws with cap screws, and enlarge both body diameter hole and countersink diameter so there is some wiggle room?

Wait a few days till the prints arrive. It will become very clear what you need to do. The part you have cannot be modified as all the workings are inside, turning mechanism cannot be altered. The position stops are also internal.

"Billy G"

Guess I'll keep an eye out for a chunk of cast iron that would work, I may line the bottom with turcite or what ever it's called. To save ware on lathe bed.
Thanks

Hi All, Got tired of this turret setting around collecting dust. Determined it is to tall for the heavy 10L :confusion:
So it's going on a old 12-36 atlas, it has flat ways so it should be easier to make adapter plate.
I started the adapter plate last nite useing some 1 1/2" mic6 tooling plate, it won't need to slide on the ways much , just bolted down.
The turret will be used to drill a series of different size holes in copper 50 BMG bullet's for wrighting pens. Pic to come later

Got it zeroed in to spindle perfect, the aluminum was milled to fit between the ways snugly no play.
The turret takes 5/8"X 5 , 1/2"x1 arbors , don't really want to use drill chucks , thinking I'll use 5/8"
Cold rolled with drill size specific holes in them with set screws to hold drills , any better suggestions?
Other pic is what I was trying, this should be much better after setup.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The drill stops you have on your drill bits are not necessary with your turret. Just set the stops on the turret. I'm sure you haven't got that far, but that's what they are for.

Oops! Just realized the drills were from your old tailstock turret! Sorry!

Hi Ken , yup not that far yet , this should be a major improvement over that other chi turret thing.
Have to round up some 5/8 to hold drills in, I'll prob use this to drill the 5/8" plugs with drill in spindle.

Got it zeroed in to spindle perfect, the aluminum was milled to fit between the ways snugly no play.
The turret takes 5/8"X 5 , 1/2"x1 arbors , don't really want to use drill chucks , thinking I'll use 5/8"
Cold rolled with drill size specific holes in them with set screws to hold drills , any better suggestions?
Other pic is what I was trying, this should be much better after setup.
View attachment 119703

I've never seen pieces of fruit used as handles before...

Back