Tailstock Alignment?

Good morning guys yea kinda got out control little,but after researching all the ideals making a test bar which requires a lathe then looking on auction site their there by tons and most cost more than buying edge test bar.So I am going w/Edge which have a discount code which I hope works.I believe that buying this I know it’s accurate and not hand made by me with a possible mistake will serve yrs to come.Afterwards when Im done to old can’t see it will be and easy sell

Its an interesting thread you started :)

Theirs such a range of different ways to do the same thing , its always good to have them mulled over.

And mesurment is a very deep hole to go into. :)

Make sure u post pics and results of the new toy (i meen tool) ;) when you get it.

Stu

What I use, works for me.

The easiest way to make a test bar to align centers is to use a 12 inch piece of 1/2 x 13 threaded rod. centerdrill each end. At each end screw on a nut , a large washer and another nut to lock the washer. Place between centers, take a light cut on each washer(don't change depth of cut). If the diameters of the washers are equal, the centers are aligned.

I almost bought that ET alignment bar but heard some guys got ones that weren't machined too well or got bent during shipping, though IIRC they used shipping tubes for them which are usually pretty stout. For me I've done Mr. Pete's (Tubal Cain) method of using two drill chuck arbors for TS alignment. What's nice is you can position the tailstock anywhere along the bed and be able to comparatively measure with the headstock, unlike being constrained to test bar length. Being they are chuck arbors you aren't likely to bend them. Keep them stored so they don't get nicked up and you'll be good to go. Don't have to be super high-end arbors either.

Last edited:
Back