Tailstock Center

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Why do some tailstock centers have an asymmetric grind like this:
1692721566811.png

It is typically seen with tailstocks for rotary tables. I don't see the advantage over a regular center like you would see on a lathe?

Well there you have it. I never thought about that! Thanks!

So, do you position the clearance ground side up/toward the cutting tool?
That would make sense to me. But every time I see an image of these, they have the clearance side downward toward the table (Like the above pic).
Any reason they're always shown like that?

So, do you position the clearance ground side up/toward the cutting tool?
Yes ! The cut away always to the cutter .As long as the center is ground less than half way thru it will center the piece . Any more than half way it won't center and the part can flex away from the cutter whatever it may be . Think of a shaft in a hole . If you grind half the shaft away it can move . Less than half way thru the shaft is still locked in the hole . ;)

You would right after you bury your cutter into the center. Not that I would know anything about that. No not me.
No , me either ! :grin: These centers are ideal for cylindrical grinders as the wheel must come completely off the tailstock end of the piece . When grinding large shafts the wheel will break down on each side . It may only be a tenth or 2 , but when you're tolerance is +.0002 / -.0000 it matters !

I'd like to think that someone came up with the idea before they inadvertently modified their center.....

I have one of these but haven't needed to use it yet. I've found that rotating my QCTP gives me the clearance I need. So far: but having it in my back pocket is a good thing. One thing I've wondered about w/regard to it is lubrication. Seems to me that the lube would go away pretty fast.

We had tubes of " center saver " .

I have a similar tailstock that I got with a 8" Vertex rotary table. It has slots where the bolts go through and the center is concentric ground. One thing I am thinking of modifying on is to add a screw jacking system to help get the center at the correct height and parallel to the base. Not sure if anyone has done such a thing.

Back