Tailstock Die holder

Driveslayer45

Registered
Registered
Made from stainless steel. A lot of lathe work, and somenmill work. single point threading, mt3 taper turning. first time turning between centers, used a diy lathe dog made from 1/2 steel plate and 3/8 bolts..

Not actually tried it yet ..

It was fun to make, learned alot.

Attachments

• 37360.jpeg
    37360.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 37361.jpeg
    37361.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 123
That’s a great looking holder you made. I could have used that yesterday, I had the die but no holder. I had to single point the thread. I’m adding that to my project list and I’ll likely make one similar to yours.
Good job

Very nice, I really need to whip up something similar.
I have an old MT3 reamer that I was going to use as a starting point, avoids having to make the taper and has a tang already on it.
Just need a few extra hours in a day...

Thanks, it was a fun project. I had a hard time turning the taper before i realized i was way overthinking it.
I'm getting better at single point threading, my small threaded pin was single pointed in the manner of Joe Pie, so i figure i won't use this tool that often. I think i am going to make an insert, or several actually, with a square notch in the back to hold a few common sized taps (3/8, 7/16, 1/2).

I have to join the long line of folks, thinking, "I must make one too".
It's not so much the die nuts as I am more than happy much of the time to just cut the threads on the lathe.
However for tapping the small threads I have to resort to using a tap and that is when I need a device like you have made for taps.

Cheers Mal

Just finished mine, not as fancy as Driveslayer45, but my first real lathe project, so I'm semi-pleased with how it turned out.

6061 body accepts round dies in one end, and hex in the other. I just do small hobby stuff, so hopefully it will be sufficient. If not, a good excuse to make a new one down the road.

Shaft is 1144, and my first (possibly last) attempt at a MT2. Handles repurposed from a hand held die wrench. All in all, a great learning experience.

IMG_20200224_174715.jpgIMG_20200224_174729.jpgIMG_20200224_174845.jpg

Just finished mine, not as fancy as Driveslayer45, but my first real lathe project, so I'm semi-pleased with how it turned out.

6061 body accepts round dies in one end, and hex in the other. I just do small hobby stuff, so hopefully it will be sufficient. If not, a good excuse to make a new one down the road.

Shaft is 1144, and my first (possibly last) attempt at a MT2. Handles repurposed from a hand held die wrench. All in all, a great learning experience.

View attachment 314908View attachment 314910View attachment 314911
That is super nice. Love the hex one side and round the other, brilliant idea..

Made from stainless steel. A lot of lathe work, and somenmill work. single point threading, mt3 taper turning. first time turning between centers, used a diy lathe dog made from 1/2 steel plate and 3/8 bolts..

Not actually tried it yet ..

It was fun to make, learned alot.

Total newb question here: how does a person make the hexagonal shaped hole for the die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total newb question here: how does a person make the hexagonal shaped hole for the die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use both handwheels simultaneously like an etch a sketch!

No?

Umm... I'd probably use a hex collet block.

Sinker edm and some graphite comes to mind lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back