Tailstock handwheel handle falls off..

DJ Bill

Active User
Registered
I'm sure I am missing something simple here.. How do I get the tailstock handwheel handle to stay attached and still rotate? Mine keeps falling out. :whiteflag:

Go to the hardware store and buy a friction nut, the one with the nylon ring so it gets tight on the thread. Leave it a little loose so you have clearance beween the screw and end housing. If they don't have one , look on MSC or contact Fastenal

The end of my handle is just cylindrical where it goes into the blind hole in the handwheel. I can't see where I'd put a nut. I'm not sure if the atlas design was a press fit or if somehow they got it to rotate one installed.

They are a press fit Bill, I have a spare wheel with a wonky one, I would have thought some bearing or stud lock would hold it, maybe worth a try..

Bernard

Bill,

As said previously, it is not supposed to rotate. Try knurling the cylindrical pin, using the 2-files and vise method. Then press it in with Locktite.

Robert D.

Your talking about the round handle you turn to make the tailstock quill forward? That is what I am talking about? Those handles have a wood-ruff key in the screw shaft and the handle slides over the shaft on the key and then the nut tightens the handle on the screw shaft.

Richard,

No, he is talking about the handle that is supposed to be a press fit in the rim of the tailstock handwheel.

Robert D.

Thanks guys, I will try the two file method of knurling and some loctite after I get back from teh dentist and come down from the painkillers...(It might be tomorrow before then, got mojor work being done.)

And yes, tailstock handwheel. I had thought the handle for it rotated, but It appears once more I missed the obvious, it does NOT. I also need to find it , last time it dropped out it went on a journey somewhere..

I used JB weld to put one of mine back in. It hasn't come out since

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

The 2-file method works best if you have a pair of files with teeth only on one side. These aren't too easy to find. You can make a crude pair by grinding part of the teeth off on one side so that they don't dig into the the backing bars while sliding.

Robert D.

Back