Tailstock offset plates question.

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On some of the tailstocks, usually imports, I've seen alignment plates screwed at the rear. Anyone know where I can find a discussion about them and where I might buy them for my tailstock? Seems like they would be quite handy for making tapers.

If you off set the tail stock to turn a taper it is a pain to reset it not to make a taper. This is why a taper turning attachment is such a help. The alignment marks only make it back to a rough spot of alignment.

There are adjustable live centers which are designed for just this work. You can leave your tailstock centered and dial in the offset.
61ppUvYRzDS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There are adjustable live centers which are designed for just this work. You can leave your tailstock centered and dial in the offset.
61ppUvYRzDS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Wow that seems like a handy attachment to have! I notice, in the pic, it's marked in "mm" and have never cut a taper. Is one in "inch" better suited for the hobbyist?

A taper measured in "/" would be the same value expressed in mm/mm. To use the above, just make your length measurement in mm.

On a phone or tablet just use a metric to inch calculator. The Internet has lots of ‘em. No installation required; many are web based.

On the computer (Windows based) I like a program called “Convert.exe” for all sorts of conversions. It’s free and it’s a single file program that won’t mess up your computer. It’s easily found using any search engine.

Whether the markings are in metric or imperial is not significant, since they do not actually mean anything in terms of taper. Of course taper depends on the length of the part and the offset, so knowing the length and the desired taper, I offset the center using a dial indicator, not the index marks. Then, it still seems to need some fine tuning.

Alexa sits right next to my toolbox to make the conversions easy, she has a wealth of information and entertains me when working in the shop.

Modified this to use in my tailstock for offsets.

Attachments

• 0359E48A-D127-4EC7-BB26-2CF4A38F0496.jpeg
    0359E48A-D127-4EC7-BB26-2CF4A38F0496.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 9
Back