Tailstock Tap & Die Holder

I know I'm late to the party here, but that is absolutely beautiful, and I'm a little jealous. I was happy with my little die holder I hacked out, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

I know I'm late to the party here, but that is absolutely beautiful, and I'm a little jealous. I was happy with my little die holder I hacked out, but I think it's time for an upgrade.
Thanks very much for your support Matt. Credit for that design goes to "Clickspring" and the other real machinists on this site. I just liked the idea and had to have it. That little tool has come in so handy though! Take care friend.

-Mitch

Beautiful work!!

I recently bought this set. I did not realize how handy these tools can be. I use it all the time.
It's especially nice on small parts because you can feel your way and all is square with the world.
If you make a set for round dies are you going to use steel?

Attachments

• die.jpg
    die.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 61
Dang that is some beautiful work there!

Beautiful work!!

I recently bought this set. I did not realize how handy these tools can be. I use it all the time.
It's especially nice on small parts because you can feel your way and all is square with the world.
If you make a set for round dies are you going to use steel?
Thank you sir,
Yes definitely will be using steel if I do one of these for round dies. David made some really good points earlier in the thread, so I've been thinking about doing that. I like to buy parts in sets (thanks to my OCD ), but good quality round dies in sets for standard and/or metric are not easy to find.

BTW, I see a couple of items in your kit that I need to get myself. Thanks very much for sharing!!

- Mitch

More nice work. At some point, you may want to consider using round adjustable dies. With round dies, I get more control over thread fit, but the holder really needs to be harder than 6061 to secure round dies. I love your design, and agree with you about Clickspring. When are you starting his clock build? o_O
Thank you David,
Dually noted sir! I'm sure I will build a second one in the near future out of something more fit for the round dies. As far as the clock build, I think I'll leave that one alone LOL. That is over the top!

-Mitch H.
Based on image 20201218_185543.JPG it already looks like you have a round holder, I see 3 screw holes, and it appears to hold the hex in.
My holder is made of Aluminum and it's lasted years. The only thing I wish I had done initially is sleeve it with brass to slide.

Based on image 20201218_185543.JPG it already looks like you have a round holder, I see 3 screw holes, and it appears to hold the hex in.
My holder is made of Aluminum and it's lasted years. The only thing I wish I had done initially is sleeve it with brass to slide.
Yes sir you are correct,
The holes are drilled and tapped to work with the setscrew layout from round dies.

So.......... I initially bored that end of the main body to accept round dies as well as the "hex die" adapter, but I then made plans to build another one out of steel. I also never found a good set of round dies so have not yet had the chance to try one. With what I need them for, it probably would work well in that aluminum die holder. I appreciate the info. I like the idea of using a brass sleeve....I may just have to update mine with a brass or bronze sleeve now.

Thanks very much!
-Mitch

Thank you David,
Dually noted sir! I'm sure I will build a second one in the near future out of something more fit for the round dies. As far as the clock build, I think I'll leave that one alone LOL. That is over the top!

-Mitch H.
Mitch, if you do decide to make one in steel, you might want to read this post. I have posted details of my own version of this tool including detailed drawings that will provide you with the standard dimensions for round dies which you can find here. My version uses the same tap holders as yours, and is implemented in 4041 steel.
32641634297_a38304a02b_c.jpg

I ran into the same wall myself trying to find quality round dies in sets. In spite of my OCD, I succumbed to buying individual dies on eBay, typically NOS, and now have a complete collection of very nice collection of units that don't match each other. LOL. It took a year to build the set, but all the dies were from quality makers and were new old stock.

Excellent, thanks David!
I have all but succumbed to the same harsh reality lol. I'll definitely check out your post on this. BTW, your drawings for the spindle LED worked out awesome! Thank you very much, I truly appreciate you taking time to post and share your knowledge.

-Mitch

Back