Taiwanese import lathe metric thread change gears?

Ninedriver

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
A few years ago I acquired this lathe from my uncle who was unfortunately unable to use it due to failing health. It’s served me well and I very much enjoy my new hobby and I’m happy it’s still in the family. My latest project requires me to cut a 1.5 metric thread. It’s my understanding this is a “generic Taiwanese import lathe” circa the 1980’s with similar designs that were sold under many labels. The lathe didn’t come with a manual, however, I was able to source a generic one size fits all manual. According to it, this having an imperial lead screw, I’ll need a couple of change gears to be able to cut metric threads. Unfortunately, they were not included when I acquired the lathe. I’ve read some threads where folks with similar lathes were able to source some parts from Grizzly as they apparently sold a version of this lathe, the G9249. On Grizzly’s website they offer 30t, 32t, and 46t change gears but unfortunately they are all back ordered.

According to the manual I have, I’ll need the 32t gear to cut 1.5 metric threads. I would like to have all three for future projects as well. I was wondering if anyone may happen to have some of these gears laying around and wouldn’t mind parting with them, or if someone knew of another source to acquire them.

Thanks so much
Steve

LUXCUT-1336BH
MFG 1986
TAIWAN

Attachments

• IMG_9065.jpeg
    IMG_9065.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9063.jpeg
    IMG_9063.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9066.jpeg
    IMG_9066.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9068.jpeg
    IMG_9068.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9064.jpeg
    IMG_9064.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 37
Probably a lot faster and easier to find a Boston gear offering and retrofit it.

Cheaper too as anyone who has the lathe is likely to want to hold on to the gears or will want a fortune to give it up.

Linn gear is another and usually cheaper source for change gears. Figure out the DP and PA. You can use an existing gear and measure it to determine what you have. Make sure the 127T gear that is compounded to the other in the picture is the same ( looks the same in the picture ). I would expect the 32T gear to cost about $50 from Linn, 75 from Boston or Martin. Dave

With an offshore machine, it is most likely a metric module) gear with 20 deg. PA with all other dimensions metric. Find a printed representation of module gear tooth size or compute module from dimensions from formulas in a machinist's handbook. Note, that module gears do not go by DP (diametral pitch) as do our USA system of gearing.

If you can measure the module (you already know how many teeth) and know the shaft diameter, maybe you can have someone print one for you? Printed gears actually hold up better than you would think. They also run a bit quieter. That might get you by for a while until you can procure metal gears. Just a thought.

@Ischgl99 idea is good as well.

Pm me.
I could make one for you if you can get me the details. 7075 Aluminum or cast iron As you wish. Straight spur gear is pretty easy.

Wow guys. Thanks so much for the ideas and direction. I’ll do some measuring and get into the handbook to ascertain the correct dimensions. Never considered 3D printing one as I didn’t realize it would be strong enough. May be a good temporary solution as mentioned. I’ll look into the other vendors as well.
Thanks again

The metric modulus number (1.5 for my Takisawa TSL-800D) makes it trivial to compute the outer diameter and depth of cut just given the number of teeth you want. I got one of the widely available $275 dividing head systems and I've made a number of Delrin gears that work perfectly.

Machinery's handbook is your friend.

Back