Tales of Recovery

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
No, this is not about drug or alcohol addiction.

In another thread, BGHansen commented "I was told by a retired tool and die maker that the sign of a good machinist is how well they can hide their mistakes."
This is absolutely true! Even better ones can turn a mistake into a design improvement.

My most memorable recovery occurred shortly after Jim and I opened our shop. There were just the two of us and we had lots of extra space. We were approached by another machinist (Bill) who had a CNC lathe and needed somewhere to operate until he could find shop space of his own. We rented him some space and he moved in his machine. Shortly thereafter we got a job for a large quantity (for us) of high strength 304 studs. We subbed the job to Bill, (when in doubt, sub it out.) The material cost $3-4k, a very large expenditure for us at that time. Bill ran the parts over a weekend when we weren't there. On Monday, we discovered that the threads were all too small, they would screw into the no-go gage that the customer had provided. Jim and I were in absolute panic. Bill, not so much, said that he could fix them. Extremely skeptical, but with nothing to lose, we told him to go ahead. Using the collet on his CNC, he turned up the hydraulic pressure and squeezed the OD of the threads. This caused a very slight swelling of the flanks of the thread. I'm sure the thread profile was imperfect, but they screwed into the go gage but not into the no-go gage, and that was all that mattered.

So, tell us your Tales of Recovery.

As a complete newb that’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Thomas Edison tried 1500 times to get the carbon filament to work and got it. He never sweated mistakes he would just try something else or modify till he arrived at a solution. I personally finally figured out that nothing in this world is perfect no matter how hard you try. I study and get the info I need then go for it with the right attitude and can overcome most problems. When I was younger it was a different story. I would get a bigger hammer to deal with things and sometimes create more issues. Wisdom and patience is what guides me now. Sometimes LOL. Nobody perfect right?

Using the collet on his CNC, he turned up the hydraulic pressure and squeezed the OD of the threads. This caused a very slight swelling of the flanks of the thread. I'm sure the thread profile was imperfect, but they screwed into the go gage but not into the no-go gage, and that was all that mattered.

We have ways to cheat on specs for sure , but you don't want to practice this when lives are on the line . When you produce parts for space flight , weapons systems etc , I wouldn't want anyone's son or daughter using in-correctly machined parts . Hey , for G jobs , sure , we know our way around the block .

When tapping the scope mount in a rifle I built I didn't get the holes perfectly true until the third time. The first two times I TIG welded the holes shut and started over. A week later I ordered a milling machine! Hopefully next time I'll get it right.

It has been said that Persian rug weavers would purposely put an imperfection in each rug because Allah was the only one who was perfect.

I usually get my imperfections in early so I don't have to worry about them. Same thing with that scratch on the new car or the ding in the new2 machine. That first one is always the hardest to reconcile.

As for machining boo boos, we call them engineering changes.

When tapping the scope mount in a rifle I built I didn't get the holes perfectly true until the third time. The first two times I TIG welded the holes shut and started over.

And THAT is why I like metal working better than wood working.

Back