Talk me out of the PM bandsaw

Jason812

Registered
Registered
Like many before me, I've gotten by without a bandsaw but now its to the point of being a necessity. After much looking and research and knowing what you get from Precision Matthews, I think I have decided to get their band saw. It seems to me 7x12 is about the size it takes to get to a hydraulic down feed or at least hydraulic fighting of gravity. I like the vertical option and I don't see any other saw with a gear box. The issue is after shipping, this saw is about $800 more than similar but Chinese made saws. Is it worth the extra coin that could go towards other items?

“After much looking and research and knowing what you get from Precision Matthews”

sounds like you’ve done your homework and answered your own question.

In the past p.m. has offered a 10% discount during the bar Z bash event. I haven’t heard if that’s happening this year or notBut it would be worth checking into for 10%

I have the same model bandsaw, I purchased it through Enco quite a few years ago. They cut very well, and I have had no issues with mine. I thought I would use the vertical more but have only used it a few times for cutting plate. I have cut some pretty large stock with it, getting a better blade will improve the cutting. I am not aware of a Chinese copy of the same saw, but I am sure they are out there. Depending on the type of work you plan to use the saw for, if you do any type of mitering/angle cutting I would strongly recommend a swivel head type. I had this discussion with another forum member, and he ended up with the JET HVBS-710S (belt version) although I prefer the gear head version HVBS-710G. He did a few mods to it which made it even better. I also know a few other metal workers that purchased Ellis bandsaws but that is in a whole different level. Jet periodically has sales/rebates, the last one dropped the prices $200.

If I were to purchase a bandsaw again I would go with a swivel head, but for standard square cutoff mine does just fine but I have done quite a few mods to it to make it work better. I have adjustable extensions for the jaws to cut shorter stock, bigger wheels, three point levelers, added a second coolant port, chip flaps, low voltage switches moved to top, etc. I use to run Koolrite 2290 in the sump but no longer use it because I use it a lot less these days.
Turn-Pro Bandsaw.jpg

I bought a Harbor Freight 7 x 12 4 or 5 years ago, have had no issues with it. I bought mine new for under $700 at the time. Couple of threads below with my purchase and a mod for better coolant draining. Another mod I haven't gotten around to yet is adding a front axle like the mksj's just above. The HF model cuts cost by just having feet on the front side. It's a bit heavier than I'd like to move around with the saw down. It balances out really well when it's in the up/vertical cutting position. The holes are in the base for an axle if you go with the HF and want to add the front wheels.

Bruce

I have a Jet/Wilton 7“x 12“ bandsaw, it’s been great, mine uses a 93-1/2” x 3/4” x .035”, the same as my Rockwell/Delta 14” vertical bandsaw

After a fair amount of searching I ended up with a Wellsaw 600 7x13" band saw. It cut fairly ok until the new blade came in and now it cuts beautiful perpendicular cuts! I paid $500 for it. I am very glad I waited to find a good old US manufactured machine!

I have a Taiwan built 7x12 I picked up lightly used for $200. Very happy with it's performance. Definitely a step up from my little 4 1/2" model, although it worked quite well also for it's size. Mike

I do like the swivel head on mine!

I wish I had a swivel head on my band saw. But all of the used swivel head saws I looked at were out of my price range.

Back