Talk me out of the PM bandsaw

I think the PM is the way to go for a new saw. I was nearly ready to buy one myself. When I recently bought my used Jet knee mill they had a Taiwan made jet 7x12 they weren’t using anymore. Isn’t the prettiest, but it’s smooth and runs good. For $300 I couldn’t pass it up.

Seems like nobody wants to read your post. Don't worry. I got you.

Don't buy a new PM bandsaw! Don't do it! If you had that saw you'd be constantly looking for bigger pieces of metal to cut. Before you know it, you're gonna need a bigger, newer bandsaw than what you bought! It's a sick cycle that most of these guys have already fallen into! It's a trap! Just keep using a hacksaw. No matter how much you use it, you'll never out grow it. You'll never pick a job that takes more cutting than you are personally willing to labor through.

How did I do? Convinced?

FWIW, I had a horizontal bandsaw before I had a lathe or a mill. If I could make the space for a Grob vertical, I'd have one of those too. Bandsaw machining is very efficient !

Here is my modified Jet mitering bandsaw that Mark (mksj) mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

These are my modifications:
  • A new rolling base with some storage for short cuts underneath
  • Support for the cut piece so the cutting is completed cleanly
  • A switch to turn off the coolant pump when not in use
  • A better table for using the saw vertically
I am very happy with the saw, it works great and gives another dimension for the ease of cutting and machining metals. It is accurate, fast, quite and does not throw chips all over like my 14" carbide saw that is only good for profiles and very limited with solids. With my mobility modifications it is also easy to move around.

I replaced the original (a very good bi-metal German made blade) that was too coarse for my general use with a Lenox variable pitch blade (LENOX CL16031CL7750 7 ft. 9"L x 3/4"W x 10/14 TPI Bi-Metal Band Saw Blade).

20210224_160202.jpg

20210224_162444.jpg

20210202_003146_HDR.jpg
20210207_171213.jpg

20210305_003218.jpg

Ariel

I got the PM bandsaw 4 years ago and I love it. I have used it quite a bit since and I just replaced the original blade.
The quality and gearbox was what sold me. Do not hesitate It’s a very good unit.

I really would like an Ellis… :)

Here is my modified Jet mitering bandsaw that Mark (mksj) mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

These are my modifications:
  • A new rolling base with some storage for short cuts underneath
  • Support for the cut piece so the cutting is completed cleanly
  • A switch to turn off the coolant pump when not in use
  • A better table for using the saw vertically
I am very happy with the saw, it works great and gives another dimension for the ease of cutting and machining metals. It is accurate, fast, quite and does not throw chips all over like my 14" carbide saw that is only good for profiles and very limited with solids. With my mobility modifications it is also easy to move around.

I replaced the original (a very good bi-metal German made blade) that was too coarse for my general use with a Lenox variable pitch blade (LENOX CL16031CL7750 7 ft. 9"L x 3/4"W x 10/14 TPI Bi-Metal Band Saw Blade).

View attachment 368680

View attachment 368681

View attachment 368682 View attachment 368683

View attachment 368684

Ariel
I'm going to copy your stand/cart.

I have been reading the posts and absorbing the info, just not replying. Don't think I've been ignoring the responses.

I knew this would happen as soon as I posted my original question and it still might be a little premature but a couple used saws came up for sale locally or within 2.5 hr drive time. One is local and I look at it tomorrow but it has a 3 phase motor and there wouldn't be much of a savings over the PM saw especially if I have to convert it or run a VFD but it is a beast. DoAll C4 1.5 hp for $1500. It's at a reseller's business and I don't know the overall condition.

The other I have been in contact with the seller and if it's still for sale Saturday and I don't get the 3 phase saw, I will drive 2.5 hrs to haul it home. It's a brand new but out of box Grizzly G0561 for $900.

If I get the Grizzly (I know the dark side), that leaves extra money for PM's new collet chucks (which I was going to get anyway) and goes along way towards a bigger air compressor. If both fall thru, then I will more than likely pull the trigger on the PM saw.

Back