Tangential tool holder

i'm going to buy a tangential tool holder from Eccentric Engerining. i am confused as to what size to buy. my lathe is a south bend heavy 10. i use a aloris A tool post. will be using 5/16 or 3/8 tool bits. i contacted them, and didn't understand their response. (rather than say that i am dumb, i use the excuse that i am a old man) any help as to what size to buy??
Don’t have a SB Heavy 10, but . . .

Per the Tool Selection Page:

IMG_5782_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

And using the 8mm Tool Holder as sn example:

IMG_5783_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

In order to be able to use this Tool Holder, the distance from the centerline of the spindle to the bottom of your tool post holder (where the Tool Holder will sit) must be at least 8mm:

IMG_5783.jpeg

Select the largest Tool Holder that suits your center height/Aloris holder dimension and which will fit into the Aloris holder:

IMG_5781_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Sorry, had to relocate to my laptop (playing with photos on the phone is a pain).

Here is my 8mm Tool Holder in a 0XA QCTP with a 250-001 holder (I have a 7 x 16 Mini-Lathe):

Tool in 250-001.JPG

And here is the distance between the center and the bottom of the 250-001 holder:

250-001 Center Height.JPG
The distance is 12mm, but the largest Tool Holder that will work is the 8mm (a 0XA/250-001 will just hold a 12mm shank, but it's tight).

If you can hold a 15mm+ shank in your Aloris AXA holder and the bottom of the holder is at least 12mm below your center height, then go with that one.

The 8mm, 10mm & 12mm Tool Holders accept 1/4" bits; the 16mm & 20mm Tool Holders use 5/16" bits.

I hope this is clear; if not, give me a shout.

Attachments

• IMG_5781.png
    IMG_5781.png
    545.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Slightly off topic question - about how much was shipping and other fees from Australia? The Australian YouTube guys are always complaining about shipping costs from the US. Eccentric says import duty fees are on us. The tool isn’t too expensive, but if getting it here doubles the price, that changes the game.

still having issues with what i should get. Gary: from eccentric engineering messaged me that i should get such and such size that takes a 1/4 inch tool bit. i sent him the height of the base of the carriage that the aloris A tool post sits; 1 inch to the center of the chuck, and 3/8 in from the bottom of the tool holder that the current tool bit (3/8) sets on. i can't understand why i can't use a diamond tool holder for a bigger size bit. anyone out there have a S.B. heavy 10 with a diamond tool holder? and what size or mod. #??

Don’t have a SB Heavy 10, but . . .

Per the Tool Selection Page:

View attachment 457578

And using the 8mm Tool Holder as sn example:

View attachment 457579

In order to be able to use this Tool Holder, the distance from the centerline of the spindle to the bottom of your tool post holder (where the Tool Holder will sit) must be at least 8mm:

View attachment 457580

Select the largest Tool Holder that suits your center height/Aloris holder dimension and which will fit into the Aloris holder:

View attachment 457582

Sorry, had to relocate to my laptop (playing with photos on the phone is a pain).

Here is my 8mm Tool Holder in a 0XA QCTP with a 250-001 holder (I have a 7 x 16 Mini-Lathe):

View attachment 457584

And here is the distance between the center and the bottom of the 250-001 holder:

View attachment 457587
The distance is 12mm, but the largest Tool Holder that will work is the 8mm (a 0XA/250-001 will just hold a 12mm shank, but it's tight).

If you can hold a 15mm+ shank in your Aloris AXA holder and the bottom of the holder is at least 12mm below your center height, then go with that one.

The 8mm, 10mm & 12mm Tool Holders accept 1/4" bits; the 16mm & 20mm Tool Holders use 5/16" bits.

I hope this is clear; if not, give me a shout.
funny thing is, is that I find NO WHERE on their pages the heights of their tooling. Only you have provided some height info. I don't know where you got that info, but I could not find it on their website.

Slightly off topic question - about how much was shipping and other fees from Australia? The Australian YouTube guys are always complaining about shipping costs from the US. Eccentric says import duty fees are on us. The tool isn’t too expensive, but if getting it here doubles the price, that changes the game.
I bought a 8mm kit with both RH & LH tool holders, extra "Crobalt" square & round bits, and a FlexiChuck Kit with spares in early 2022: order total was $800 +/-, of which express shipping was around $75. Took around ten days. I did check with HSM and IIRC it was more expensive buying the tool holders from them even without shipping since I was getting FlexiChuck stuff. Email Gary and ask him or add to cart, do the PayPal check out but don't complete the purchase when you are returned to the Eccentric Engineering site (shipping charges don't get calculated until your address is received from PayPal).

funny thing is, is that I find NO WHERE on their pages the heights of their tooling. Only you have provided some height info. I don't know where you got that info, but I could not find it on their website.
Go to this page, then right-click on the Tool Selection page link:

Page 1 Diamond Tool Holder Annotation 1.png

which shows the Centre Height Measurement:

Page 2 Tool Selection.png

Then go back to the Diamond Tool Holder page and click on the tool that fits within your Center Height (we'll use 10mm (3/8") as an example since that is what @porthos has as his measurement:

Page 3 Diamond Tool Holder.png
That will take you to the specific Tool Holder page, with an enlarged drawing of the Tool Holder showing the Center Height (Tan Oval) and the Tool Holder Shank Height (Red Square) so you can confirm that this Tool Holder will fit in you QCTP holder:

Page 4 10mm Tool Holder Annotated.png

Don't feel bad about having trouble finding some info on the website: due to the way the cart system works you bounce between the Products pages and the Shopping pages to track everything down. However, the effort is worth it: all of the items I purchased last year are of the highest quality and work very well, even on my small machines.

Last edited:
still having issues with what i should get. Gary: from eccentric engineering messaged me that i should get such and such size that takes a 1/4 inch tool bit. i sent him the height of the base of the carriage that the aloris A tool post sits; 1 inch to the center of the chuck, and 3/8 in from the bottom of the tool holder that the current tool bit (3/8) sets on. i can't understand why i can't use a diamond tool holder for a bigger size bit. anyone out there have a S.B. heavy 10 with a diamond tool holder? and what size or mod. #??
See my reply to @woodchucker above. Based on your 3/8" measurement, you need either the 8mm or 10mm Tool Holder; assuming you can comfortably mount the 12.7mm tall 10mm Tool Holder in your Aloris that should work (is this what Gary told you?). The bad news (per the website) is that the 10mm RH Tool Holders are on back-order until mid September and the prices will be going up.

Due to the way the Diamond Tool Holders and clamps are made, the 8mm, 10mm and 16mm Tool Holders only work with 1/4" bits. The 16mm Tool Holder takes 5/16" & 8mm bits (and per HSM is suitable for a 12" — 19" lathes). The 20mm Tool Holder takes 5/16" & 8mm bits, but with a special clamp (extra) can be used with 1/4" bits which are cheaper. The way the Diamond Tool Holders work, I don't see any advantage of using a larger than 1/4" bit: all of the righty is in the Tool Holder as there is minimal stick-out.

If you have detailed questions, you can email Gary and arrange a time for you to give him a call. I did this before I made my purchase last year and he was very helpful clearing up a few things I wasn't sure about.

Poorly designed web site. The tool selection page should have all the necessary info, instead it's a useless mess of nothingness.
the shop page with sizes should be moved to the sizing page.

got the measuring instructions from ChazzC's first post. i am glad to see that i am not the only one having trouble navagating the website.. on this note does anyone know of anyone else that makes a tangential tool holder??

got the measuring instructions from ChazzC's first post. i am glad to see that i am not the only one having trouble navagating the website.. on this note does anyone know of anyone else that makes a tangential tool holder??
I left a website which has a good set of plans for building your own in this thread above.

Back