Tap, and die handles

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Looking for recommendations for tap, and die handles, I saw a Gearwrench set that looked interesting. Most I've seen are Chinesieum quality, even in the sets now.
Thank you.

One of the most useful tap handles I have is from Walton; called a piloted spindle tapper. They're just a high quality tap handle with a shaft sticking out the back. The shaft goes into a chuck to keep a tap straight. Drill the hole, countersink and then tap without moving the part and you're assured the tap is straight. Walton no longer makes these so you either have to find NOS or make your own.

Attachments

• tapper.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 69
Mike might empty one of my Vidmars before he's done !! :grin:

Mike might empty one of my Vidmars before he's done !! :grin:

Glad to help!

Aukai, if mmcmdl has both sizes, grab them. They are high quality tools that are no longer available. I use them on the mill, lathe and drill press.

I have the same opinion of the Chinese tap handles are not nice I've had a few over the years but now I've just been on the hunt and junk yard sales for a few older P&N Australian tap handles with steel body not magnesium ,I scored three tap handles with a few other bits today for 30 bucks AUD even though second hand so long as the thread and the jaws are in reasonable condition these are far superior to the cheap Chinese ones

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So I picked the lathe out that I wanted in here at work . Clausing Medosa 13-40S . They are moving it in soon . I'll tool it up with my personal stuff and I will be able to get rid of my larger and smaller stuff . Got a nice BP in my work shop , plus a full blown machine shop 50 feet away ! I really don't want a shop at home anymore , just don't need it . What I need and am looking for is 4-5 mechanics / machinists .

I do have the opportunity to pick up that little jet lathe and WMI mill/drill and a bunch of smaller machines which I may do . I could put them in a small space . But I do not need 35 chucks , D1-8 , L0 , L00 , DA , CA , CXA etc tooling any longer ! :(

Thank you for the responses, got a DRO project coming up, and my handles suck, even some of the NOS Craftsman had switched to cheap. I will be waiting to see what Dave has.

eBay is full of older quality tools from companies like GTD (Greenfield Tap and Die), Card, Starrett etc. The last two die stocks I've
bought were 10 bucks each, and are in essentially new condition.

Vintage Greenfield tap handles and die stocks are top of the line, IMO. I also have a small Starrett tap handle for machine screw taps that is very nice, beautifully made.

Back