Tap Follower

You designed it but is there enough space to get a 3/8 thread in the cap?

Do you mean in the back of the retaining screw, like for a drawbar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep of a thread do you need for the drawbar? I have an idea brewing...

Well since it would be to just pull it in prob not much but my draw bar is a nut and acorn nut. I use the acorn nut to engage whatever is in the spindle and then use the nut to tighten down.

Well since it would be to just pull it in prob not much but my draw bar is a nut and acorn nut. I use the acorn nut to engage whatever is in the spindle and then use the nut to tighten down.

Unless your MT2 taper is in poor condition, the tap follower (with an accurate MT2 shank) will stick plenty well without a draw bar.
If you have other purposes for the TF, YMMV.
If you intend to use it as spring loaded follower, you're worried about a nonexistent problem.
After all, the thing is always spring loaded into the socket while in use. The spindle isn't even turning when using a TF.
If your MT2 taper is in poor condition, it needs fixing before any more tools are inserted.
If you think anything I've said above is false, please tell us what you intend to do with the TF (or modified TF).

You right i dont really need it. I guess i would want the thread just to have it? But my spindle is pretty good.

I agree with @extropic that it's unnecessary, but it was still a good design puzzle :) Here's how I'd make one to interface with the drawbar. The only use for the drawbar that I do see is ejecting the follower.

Tap Follower Drawbar.PNG

I kinda like that design better. As you guys said. I do agree that it is not needed but id rather have like threads if possible for my taper tools. Better safe then sorry. So did you make everything the same as the other except change the thread and the capture screw? Where dis you end up getting your springs?

I had to reduce the thread size from 7/16-20 to 3/8-16 (which I assume your drawbar is), which meant reducing the diameter of the bore, the head on the pin, and the spring. I picked the spring out of an assortment I bought on Amazon. Having a spring assortment has been really handy. For the one in the graphic above, I have McMaster 94105A603 penciled in, but I might change my mind. I'll run an updated set of prints in the next few days.

One thing to note, if you want to use this on your lathe as well, you'll probably want a removable screw so it ejects from the tailstock. I doubt it will as-is. I'll add one to the model and drawing.

When you get around to it id love a copy. I will for sure have to add a stud to the back to eject it. I have a ER20 collet holder with a MT2 shank and it is a M10 thread bc i didnt pay attention. So im going to make that my lathe collet holder so i can use it for endmills or something. Who knows. But i have to do the same thing. I need to make a stud in the back to eject it. I just need to figure out how far i need to go to eject it.

Back