Tap holder design - lathe

I just align the tap with a center or a T-handle and hold the tap handle while driving it in (ensuring that there's always room for it to spin if I let go). Gives me perfect feel. Never broken a tap that way. Might be tough with course taps over 1/2", but it works great for about everything I do.

Side note: I also only use spiral fluted taps (not spiral pointed). In part because I don't have six types of tap in every size (I pretty much stick to 'modified bottoming' as well). I think another discriminator is that Irwin and Vermont American, and the other junk brands don't make spiral fluted taps, so they tend to be higher quality than what a lot of us start out with.

GsT

I have a set of these quick change tap holders and jacobs chuck IMG_4104.jpegIMG_4106.jpegIMG_4107.jpegin Morse #4 . Makes it a lot easier to drill and tap in one operation.
Martin

In response to the blank stares y'all been giving me since mentioning it, here's a pic of my clutched tap collet system (aka Billz). I'm maybe $200 into this generous pile, including the R8 EM holder and QD coupler. The collets have belville washers and a ball race in them for setting tension and smooth, repeatable movement. This is the way to go in a lathe as well. As discussed here, a rigid tool holder is not a good choice for tapping under power.

PXL_20221205_162414517.jpg

I also lock the tailstock and "hammer" in the mt2 with a few taps or it will spin out

Tried the a-bombs locked holder last night and it was too nerve racking - back to slippage and hand tap last few threads!
You should be able to either ream the quill or recondition it with bluing and stones if it’s not locking.

In response to the blank stares y'all been giving me since mentioning it, here's a pic of my clutched tap collet system (aka Billz). I'm maybe $200 into this generous pile, including the R8 EM holder and QD coupler. The collets have belville washers and a ball race in them for setting tension and smooth, repeatable movement. This is the way to go in a lathe as well. As discussed here, a rigid tool holder is not a good choice for tapping under power.

View attachment 450386
Where do you buy these and which type (WES)? I don't see any chucks available for MT2

View attachment 450386

I love those. That is what is used on Flexarm tapping machines. We have several at work. Very hard to bust a tap. Very good adjustment on those.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Where do you buy these and which type (WES)? I don't see any chucks available for MT2
That's just a common 1/2 round shank chuck from ebay in a R8 mill holder. Called a tapping chuck arbor. They're all compatible with Bilz, or so I've heard it called, but come from many manufacturers.

Back