TAP PROBLEM

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Am self taught with no one around to help and have a alot to learn .......right now am having a tap/die problem, drilled a hole for a tap and the drill was 9/32
then used a M8 1.25 tap. I can get about 1/8in. in the 6061 part then it stops and wont go any further. the part that needs die cut is steel which I tried to use a floating die setup from the TS but the die wont start cutting even when I chamfer the part , I tried both sides of the die still no luck

so we got 2 problems going on , tap and die

Attachments

• 100_3598.JPG
    100_3598.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 46
First off, I'll confirm that 9/32 is an OK tap drill for M8x1.25 ... a bit oversize if anything, but that would make it easier to tap, rather than more difficult.

It's not exactly clear from your photo, but that looks like a bottoming tap. These have a relatively short nose taper, so you'd be trying to cut too deeply with just the first few cutting edges. If it's indeed a bottoming tap, change to a "plug" tap and try again. Also be sure to use a good quality threading lube.

What kind of steel are your tap and die? "Carbon steel" is sometimes what cheap taps and dies are made of, and is inferior. High speed steel is what you'd want.

bottom tap is correct,didnt know a taper tap would make a big diffrence but will definitly try it. tap/die set from HF .......I know I know just dont laugh too hard, if its that much of a problem they can go in the junk drawer, no biggy

Taps are one place where quality tools make a big difference. You’ll understand this when one breaks off and ruins the part you’ve spent all day making. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality tap and die for your project, it’s okay to buy them one at a time but don’t trust anything other than something from a real tool supplier. Hardware stores don’t have what you need, either find the commercial tool supply or order online. There are plenty of threads on here about brands and I’m sure someone will chime in with recommendations soon.

I buy plenty of stuff from HF and love them for what they are. But not for taps....

Taps are one place where quality tools make a big difference. You’ll understand this when one breaks off and ruins the part you’ve spent all day making. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality tap and die for your project, it’s okay to buy them one at a time but don’t trust anything other than something from a real tool supplier. Hardware stores don’t have what you need, either find the commercial tool supply or order online. There are plenty of threads on here about brands and I’m sure someone will chime in with recommendations soon.

I buy plenty of stuff from HF and love them for what they are. But not for taps....

Truer words have never been spoken.

@riversidedan

20 years ago I had the same problems your having, with the same cheapass taps. Buy HSS taps.

I bought my taps a few at a time, as needed until I had a collection big enough to cover all my needs.

Look for something like this

Or

Last edited:
Even with harbor freight taps you should be able to thread the aluminum though good taps can be had on ebay pretty reasonable when you get the tapered tap it will go easier use wd-40 type lube on aluminum or tap magic make sure your reversing to break the chips probaly have to clean out the hole a few times then switch to the bottom tap for the last few threads

If your tying to thread the black stud its probably hardened check it with a file

Stick with USA taps and dies like Widia and life will be good
-Mark

thanx guys and yes that stud is hardend, I mostly work with 6061 but ran cross a small stud project.........
what kinda die can I use for that stud material?? and is that M8 1.25 the right size die for the stud??

Are you advancing, and backing the tap to break the chip, and re advancing to go deeper?

Back