TAP PROBLEM

Is the hole a through hole or a blind hole? If you get a chance, try a spiral flute tap (for a blind hole). They pull out the chips as you tap. No need to advance and break the chip. It seems like magic, they cut like a dream, especially in aluminum.

thanx guys and yes that stud is hardend, I mostly work with 6061 but ran cross a small stud project.........
what kinda die can I use for that stud material?? and is that M8 1.25 the right size die for the stud??
If it’s hardened you may have trouble with almost any die. Usually fasteners are hardened after they are threaded, take a file to it and see if you can make a mark. If not you may have to find a stud that has the right dimensions for your project.

I suppose there may be cobalt dies that could possibly work on hardened steel but it will be much cheaper to order the right stud from McMaster -Carr.

John

Are you advancing, and backing the tap to break the chip, and re advancing to go deeper?
ofcourse, however have come to the realization I cant make that hard steel stem piece work with the aluminum QCTP handle>>>>>>>so now we gotta make and thread an aluminum stem..

Attachments

• 100_3600.JPG
    100_3600.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 20
Almost the story of my life, whether tinkering or machining ... gotta buy a tool with which to fix a tool with which to fabricate a tool with which to do the job at hand. The fun never stops!

hey guys for something diffrent howbout a contest>>>>> some guy on youtube showing how to make a top, so I cranked one out which worked pretty damn good! was able to get 29 seconds on this one, anyone wanna challange that?? 25 x25 mil... Had to turn down some 1 in. dia 6061

Attachments

• 100_3601.JPG
    100_3601.JPG
    692.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
thanx guys and yes that stud is hardend, I mostly work with 6061 but ran cross a small stud project.........
what kinda die can I use for that stud material?? and is that M8 1.25 the right size die for the stud??
If the stud is hardened, you likely will not be able to tap it without partially annealing it.

There are carbide taps. Don’t drop it!

I think John mentioned annealing it. If you are hell bent on modifying that hardened stud that is your only real practical choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would contribute several points, to wit:

1) M8x1.25 is so close to 5/16-18 that it must be measured with a mic, it can't be seen. Size a drill for a 5/16-18 tap. I tend to drill the next larger letter size than that recommended. It still gives a fairly good grip(50%?) but is less work to tap. As I recollect, recommended tap drill is an "F" (.252ish) drill. I would use "G". . . I'm not up so much on fractional sizes, but tap size for 5/16 coarse is 1/4 inch. M8-1.25 will tap to approximately the same size. 1/4 inch, plus or minus 1/64. . .

2) A "carbon steel" tool will (sorta) work on aluminium, and is good for wood and plastic. For use even in mild, untreated steel, it should be a minimum of "HSS", high speed steel. Really good taps, US made, will give the best results and are well worth the cost. In any event, the tap must be harder than the material being tapped. How much harder determines how long the tap will last. Carbon steel, about three thread pitches.

3) Even a bottoming tap needs some chip clearance in the bottom of a blind hole. The depth of a drilled hole is reduced by the pointed end of the drill. The hole must be drilled deeper than the desired finished tapped area. How much is a personal judgement dependent on the person drilling the hole, but it must be at least 1/8 inch deeper for a 5/16 fastener. Starting with a plug tap to bottoming and swapping to a finishing tap is the preferred method. If there is room, drill the hole deeper and let the plug tap run enough to get what is needed.

4) Having the tap perfectly square to the hole is a given, but must be mentioned. When a tap starts a little off true square, it will drift itself into the side wall of the hole and jam. Sort of like cross threading. . .

There are other factors that need covering, but my mind is drifting so I cannot convey the concepts properly. These are starting points.

Last edited:
Back