[How-To] Tap Speed & Feed Calculator

JPT

Registered
Registered
I put together a Google Sheets spreadsheet to automate Tapmatic's tapping recommended speeds & feeds, RPM adjustment factors, minimum required torque & horsepower, etc.

The spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16MPFCAvBzhTM1Sc9MnQwcvhcceaTQ26m7MhIoyBVxJk/edit?usp=sharing

That is a shared spreadsheet that anybody with the link can use at the same time, which makes it not very useful for calculating speeds and feeds for your job.

To make a copy for yourself to use on your projects:
  1. On the menu bar at the top, select "File"
  2. From the dropdown menu, select "Make a copy"
  3. If desired, change the name
  4. Select the "Make a copy" button

To use:
  • Enter your choices and values in the green cells
  • If the RPM cells are red due to an RPM limit, use a manually entered RPM

I welcome any feedback, especially on errors or ways to improve it.

Note for Excel users: If you prefer to use it in XL, the file created by the Google Sheets download will break all of the FILTER functions.

To fix the XL file:
  1. Open the file in XL
  2. Enable editing
  3. Unhide tab "lookup-data-4"
  4. Do a search for DUMMYFUNCTION
  5. In the entire workbook, replace the DUMMYFUNCTION with an XL FILTER function using the same ranges and values:
  6. Tab "lookup-data-4" C5: =FILTER('lookup-data-1'!$H$6:$H$124, 'lookup-data-1'!$B$6:$B$124='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$13)
  7. Tab "lookup-data-4" B5: =UNIQUE('lookup-data-1'!$B$6:$B$124)
  8. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" H13: =FILTER('lookup-data-3'!$C$8:$C$21, 'lookup-data-3'!$B$8:$B$21='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$12)
  9. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" H14: =FILTER('lookup-data-3'!$D$8:$D$21, 'lookup-data-3'!$B$8:$B$21='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$12)
  10. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" H33: =FILTER('lookup-data-3'!$E$8:$E$21, 'lookup-data-3'!$B$8:$B$21='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$12)
  11. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" H34: =FILTER('lookup-data-3'!$F$8:$F$21, 'lookup-data-3'!$B$8:$B$21='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$12)
  12. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" I52: =FILTER('lookup-data-1'!E$6:E$124, 'lookup-data-1'!H$6:H$124='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$14)
  13. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" I53: =FILTER('lookup-data-1'!F$6:F$124, 'lookup-data-1'!H$6:H$124='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$14)
  14. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" I55: =FILTER('lookup-data-2'!N$5:N$123, 'lookup-data-2'!H$5:H$123='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$14)
  15. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" I56: =FILTER('lookup-data-2'!O$5:O$123, 'lookup-data-2'!H$5:H$123='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$14)
  16. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" I57: =FILTER('lookup-data-2'!I$5:I$123, 'lookup-data-2'!H$5:H$123='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$14)
  17. Tab "Tap Speed & Feed" I58: =FILTER('lookup-data-2'!J$5:J$123, 'lookup-data-2'!H$5:H$123='Tap Speed & Feed'!$C$14)

Thanks for sharing. I'm green enough that I don't really have much of a comment.

The only thing that I can say is that when I put in a M4-0.7 the spread sheet says I should be tapping between 3,183 and 4,775 RPM with a coated tap. HOLY COW! I'm not even sure my lathe or mill for that matter will turn that fast. I may not understand it, but I machine tap at well under 100 RPM. I'm not saying I do it right, that's just the way I do it.

Tim

I put together a Google Sheets spreadsheet to automate Tapmatic's tapping recommended speeds & feeds, RPM adjustment factors, minimum required torque & horsepower, etc.

The spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16MPFCAvBzhTM1Sc9MnQwcvhcceaTQ26m7MhIoyBVxJk/edit?usp=sharing

That is a shared spreadsheet that anybody with the link can use at the same time, which makes it not very useful for calculating speeds and feeds for your job.

To make a copy for yourself to use on your projects:
  1. On the menu bar at the top, select "File"
  2. From the dropdown menu, select "Make a copy"
  3. If desired, change the name
  4. Select the "Make a copy" button

To use:
  • Enter your choices and values in the green cells
  • If the RPM cells are red due to an RPM limit, use a manually entered RPM

I welcome any feedback, especially on errors or ways to improve it.
It is surprising how fast you turn a tap.
If automatic tapping you go that fast.
For few holes I just chuck tap in drill chuck and use for safety cluck too and put drill press on the slowest speed.
Note I turn off motor as tap gets close to part so I have control and mat tap power a little.

Marry Christmas
Dave

As a young apprentice, I figured that (theoretically) you could run a tap as fast as any other HSS cutting tool. I was running a batch of CRS parts with a bunch of 1/4-20 tapped holes. I was drilling and tapping at 1200 rpm, throwing the mill into reverse when the tap got within three threads of the end. I never broke a tap, but I nearly gave Fred a heart attack. I'm more conservative now.

Thanks for sharing!

As a young apprentice, I figured that (theoretically) you could run a tap as fast as any other HSS cutting tool. I was running a batch of CRS parts with a bunch of 1/4-20 tapped holes. I was drilling and tapping at 1200 rpm, throwing the mill into reverse when the tap got within three threads of the end. I never broke a tap, but I nearly gave Fred a heart attack. I'm more conservative now.
My favorite mistake is to to leave the quill stop at about the halfway mark on the tap and see what gives up first.

I do this for science. Thats what I tell my coworkers anyway.

I fixed an error in the spreadsheet.

The feed and retract rates were labeled incorrectly.

I corrected them to:
Feed rate (mm/Min)
Retract rate (mm/Min)
Feed rate (inch/Min)
Retract rate (inch/Min)

Back