Taper attachment fine adjustment

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
SO I was on craigslist or something the other day, and found a lathe that is just like mine! I looked at the pictures and I saw this:

REED PRENTICE Taper attach fine adjust .jpg

That is a picture of the taper attachment, which I have. HOWEVER, the knob assembly on the left is something I'd never seen before! I ran out to my lathe to take a look, and saw this:
PXL_20210503_210721873.jpg

You'll see that I have the hole in the top-part, and a bolt in the bottom part (right side). I unscrewed the bolt just to find out that the threads were made out of muck! Turns out I have the holes, and someone lost the fine-adjust assembly before I bought it.

Next step, was to sketch my plan with important measurements. I found that the holes were .750 each, and there was a 1" elevation difference. I chose 5/8-11 for the thread, since it is the largest tap I have. I considered a thread that divided better, but based on how rarely I use this taper attachment, and how it tends to be 'measure off an existing thing', I didn't think I would ever use the thread to measure anything so much as just turn slowly. I figure I can up-size to a 3/4-20 or something later if I find it necessary.
PXL_20210503_212844084.jpg

I started with the smaller part. I had a scrap of 1" 12L14 that worked perfect for this one. I turned it down to a touch less than 1", and made a just-less-than-1" stub on the end.
PXL_20210503_220050123.jpg

I put it in my mill to cross-drill and tap. The tapping was a giant pain, and the threads-out-the-side of the arc were awful, so I also ran a mill across both sides. I don't know if I capture it, but it DID manage to slip in my 5c collet at one point so one side is a little mangled, but not enough to change function. Plus, its on the back of the lathe :)

PXL_20210503_221234123.jpg

Back in the lathe, I turned off the extra material and rounded over the end.

PXL_20210503_223908848.jpg

Starting on the next part, I had a 1.5" 12L14 that I had to turn a bunch off of and do the same lathe work as above, just a little longer. The top is an inch taller, the bottom is closer to 1.5", since I have that much room (and more!).
PXL_20210503_224711060.MP.jpg
PXL_20210503_225154925.MP.jpg
PXL_20210503_230654371.jpg

A quick trip to the bandsaw saves me removal later:
PXL_20210503_230826202.jpg

I cross-drilled clearance for 5/8" here. I ended up having to use my boring head, since I had no matching drill bit. However, in retrospect, there is no reason this side needs to be 5/8". I have the threaded rod designed with a shoulder on one side, and the knob holding it in place on the other, so in retrospect I could have made this something that would have let me use a washer + all-thread. Oh well, looks like I have to single point (I need the practice for the dividing head anyway!).

PXL_20210503_233132936.jpg

I milled flats on both sides to deal with the shoulders later. I finally got to use my planer gauge!
PXL_20210503_233403060.jpg

And the two parts finished and in place! Just the threaded rod (I ordered some 12L14 for it) plus the knob left. I have a little more engineering on how to attach the knob correctly. I've considered threading the back attachment for it then loctiting the knob in place, or a taper pin, or just a set-screw. I guess I'll have to think about it!
PXL_20210503_233937155.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210503_233401380.LS.mp4
    1.2 MB
Great photos and write up, thanks for sharing this.

I've never seen that adjustment either......

-brino

Great photos and write up, thanks for sharing this.

I've never seen that adjustment either......

-brino
Ya, me neither! I never even guessed what the two holes were for! It is a fairly unique lathe, so I'm not surprised about it existing, but surprised that I've never seen ANY taper attachment with something like this.

They ALL oughta come that way. Trying to fine-adjust something with a slot and a hold-down bolt is all too frequently an exercise in fluster-ation!

They ALL oughta come that way. Trying to fine-adjust something with a slot and a hold-down bolt is all too frequently an exercise in fluster-ation!
I agree completely! The one time I used this, I spent about 45 mins dialing it in. This one has 3 bolts to tighten that made it time consuming. I'm hoping this will make the next taper I cut easier to dial in!

I built that into my taper attachment, based on the Hardinge parts and Ken's casting kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back