Taper gauges

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired some Starrett taper gauges as part of a toolbox purchase from a retiring machinist.

Can anyone explain how they are used?

Are they still useful, or are they relics?

I can post pictures.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One is a Starrett #269a. (Up to .500). The other #269b from .500-1.000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to take the idea of measuring a taper out of your mind. The taper is inserted into a gap, hole, ect, and tells you the distance, or hole size. Again, nothing to do with measuring a taper. I have to keep telling myself that everytime I see the name.

You have to take the idea of measuring a taper out of your mind. The taper is inserted into a gap, hole, ect, and tells you the distance, or hole size. Again, nothing to do with measuring a taper. I have to keep telling myself that everytime I see the name.
Well darn, another misconception bubble popped :( so you saying its to help figure the the top and bottom diameter of the hole then by the length of the hole you mathematically extrapolate the taper? This is a very timely thread as I saw some taper gauges the other day.

so you saying its to help figure the the top and bottom diameter of the hole then by the length of the hole you mathematically extrapolate the taper?

Could use them that way. But really just meant for hole size measurements. Not like having a pin gauge , but accurate as calipers in a hole and easier and quicker to use.

I think what everyone is trying to say is it does not measure tapers, it IS tapered. From the days before dial calipers were affordable (or even available). A quicker "precision" alternative to spring calipers and micrometer (or scale).

They are useful for measuring the diameter of the mouth of a tapered hole. A gage pin or a caliper won't work there. Alternatively, we used a ball bearing. The height of the ball above the surface was measured and from that, the diameter of the mouth of thwe taper was calculated.

We use them at our car assembly plant to quickly check gaps and flushness. Set the double-tapered end in a gap and read the closest number. The step gauge half is used to measure the offset or flushness of two surfaces. Naturally, this one is only good for about +/- 0.5 mm of accuracy.

Bruce

20200213_103437.jpg

I have 3 different taper gages. Yes, they can be very useful. I have had measurements I've wanted to take and they were the only way I had to check them. They are very accurate and now that I have them, I would not be without them in my toolbox for possible ways to measure things.

Ted

I have 3 different taper gages. Yes, they can be very useful. I have had measurements I've wanted to take and they were the only way I had to check them. They are very accurate and now that I have them, I would not be without them in my toolbox for possible ways to measure things.

Ted
I concur with Technical Ted, sometimes they are the easiest way to take a near impossible measurement.
A word of caution, especially with a used set, they can be worn quit badly. The upside is that even if worn, they can still give accurate measurements, just note what reading you get and measure that point on the gauge with a mic.

Back