taper turning attachment help

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I would like to make a taper turning attachment for my asian 9x20 lathe, can anyone suggest the best set of free plans available that do not require a mill in their fabrication? (or extensive experience in machining:)))

I bought a 2" boring head for a mill, and put a Morse Taper #2 arbor on it so it will mount in my tail stock. Then I used a 1/2" straight shank dead center in the boring head to hold my work. Adjust the boring head to get whatever offset you want. The whole rig cost less than $100 brand new. There are a lot of different ways to turn a taper. This is just the one I decided to try.

GG

This is what i use, and if you need a ex stream offset then i use a center in the headstock with a ball bearing in it.

101_0601.jpg

I made one based on the first project on this page. http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/lathe_projects/

It's mounted on my Hercus AR 9" lathe. I have to remove the crossfeed screw to use it.

Other cool projects there, too.

I have seen this one before and quite like it.
A few questions, the screw that connects the sliding part to the bracket from the cross slide looks as if its bolted on tight but I would think it should be a sliding fit in that slot??
How does your unit perform?
Thanks

This is what i use, and if you need a ex stream offset then i use a center in the headstock with a ball bearing in it.

I had seen off set tail stock units but for the major project I will be attempting I dont think they will work particularly well.
Easier to use than the taper attachment but I also need to taper bore.

Here's a pic of one I made for my 10 x 20 asian lathe before getting my mill so it's pretty rough but it works fine. If I did it over I would change a few things but it you're interested I could take some more pics showing more detail. It's pretty simple too.
85223-045c2ce11cebf7de9131edbb3d5c38ab.jpg

Back