Taping A 6x32 Hole In Stainless Steel Round Rod Help

After you use a form tap in stainless, you will NEVER use a cut tap again. The only time I use a cut tap in stainless is on thru holes where a big burr on the back side will be a problem.

I've been meaning to try those. Is the tap hole size spec the same for cut thread or is increased to accommodate displaced material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are charts for that. The hole is definitely larger. I'm a fan of form taps too. Never had much success using them by hand, but never needed to have. On a machine, the only way to go. On a dedicated tapping machine, the only way to go. No chips to clean out.

6-32 is my least favorite tap. To be avoided if possible. Wrong ratio of thread height to diameter.

The holes are larger by a bit. Take a look at the drill chart for roll formed threads in the pdf posted by billh50 in post #20

Great info! knew most but learned a little. mostly on form taps. But the tap/drill charts seem off a bit. Looking at 1/4 -20 it calls for 5.1" hole, I could drop the tap though a 5.1 hole sideways. more like a .2010 or 13/64. :grin big:
Mark

1/4-20 UNC form tap requires 5.77mm (0.227) which allows for the proper displacement.

Thanks good info Billh50, thanks. Saved the doc to re-read later. At first glance the mix of imperial threads and metric drill sizes had me scratching my head. But with some thought all should be clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.1 mm is .201 which is the right drill for 1/4-20
Yes I know this was my point. You should not mix scales. Plus the point of this was exactly why most Americans had a hard time with the metric system. They fix themselves on converting instead of on the ease of work with 10s.
Sorry for the sarcasm. but that was why I added the laughing face.

no problem, just sometimes one has to read things more than once so as not to be confused. But I under stand what you were doing.

Back