Tapping with a hand held drill

Cat Steel

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Just watched a YouTube video and guy was tapping hole in metal with a Dewalt drill and some kind of clutch chuck. What is this? Ok. I kinda found some info for mills and lathes. they use a spiral tap or something. Looks slick. I can see me breaking a bunch of these.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try it with a standard tap. A spiral-point tap or other power tap is the way to go. I've done it with soft materials. On free-machining steel it should also work, but I think having some sort of coupling that would allow a little misalignment would be wise. Those are normally used only for through holes, and power tapping a blind hole is asking for a broken tap. A four- or eight-point socket on a hex to square drive adapter would give enough flex. You will have some wobble when you hold the drill by hand, but you also get a little wobble tapping by hand with a regular tap holder.

Most hand-held battery drills have adjustable clutches designed for driving screws. The maximum slip torque may not be strong enough for a tap of any size, but work well and avoid breaking some taps. I'd use low range and keep the speed very slow in order to have time to react to a binding tap.

It would be imperative to use sharp taps and good lube.

We tap all of our fans for the equipment in at work . These cool down the equipment . Each fan has 8 10-32 threads which we run a tap thru in a hand drill . The housings are aluminum and we have no issues .

What comes to mind is a Procunier tapping head.

....or an EDM machine to remove the broken taps. ;)

I am not disagreeing with those that have proven successful results, it's just that I cannot seem to duplicate those results.
It seems that I cannot keep the drill 90 degrees to the work in the two required planes.
I can see one, but then try to peak at the other and move the thing all over.
I'm likely slightly better than 50/50 tapped holes to broken taps.
But I am really liking the Starrett tap handles I recently got.

Also considering making some alignment tools like those Big Gator tools tap guides.

Oh and not a regular tap....
a spiral point tap is meant to push chips out in front of it and is therefore meant for through holes.
a spiral flute tap is meant to pull chips back up out of the hole.

Brian

Over the years I've tapped hundreds if not thousands of holes with a hand drill. It wasn't uncommon to make field changes for equipment as product or packaging changed. The tool of choice was generally a Milwaukee variable speed drill with a clutch. For through holes we used spiral point taps, and for blind holes we used spiral flute taps. Since most of the equipment was in a washdown area the main materials were 316 stainless or 6061 aluminum.

To ensure the holes were straight we made drill fixtures that would position the new hole in the proper position and if possible, take advantage of existing fasteners to hold it in place. Often times the fixtures were odd shaped due to the location of the existing fasteners needed to hold. The fixtures were built to accommodate removeable drill bushings. One bushing would be inserted for the proper drill size. When the new hole was drilled that bushing was removed and another for the proper tap size was installed. Often times it took longer to design and fabricate fixtures to do the job than it took to do the job itself.

Back